What's new

D\A converter question (1 Viewer)

Tamer C

Agent
Hi,

If a DVD player has a 192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter and a Receiver only has a 96kHz one, what does this affect? Does this mean I would be losing out 96kHz of quality?

RobWil

Supporting Actor
This might interest you:
http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/surr.../page_08.shtml

I'm a little new to DVD-A , but assuming the source recording was 192kHz/24 bit quality, and assuming you were using the receivers DAC's then yes, you would be playing back at a lower resolution than if you used the DVD's DAC's. Would you be able to distinguish the difference? I don't know. I would assume that the quality of the DAC's and supporting circuitry would have something to do with it also. Do a google search on DVD-A or 24 bit Digital to Analog converters and you'll find probably more than you'd care to know!

Tamer C

Agent
Well I thought about this. I'm not sure if any DVD movies use 192khz.. I don't think they do. If I play back SACD, I will have to use RCA analog cables to my receiver, so that means I am using my DVD players DAC and not the receivers. Then it might not make sense to connect my DVD player via digital optical cable to the receiver. What do you think?

Art C

Agent
I belive that sacd output will only come through
the analog outputs not the digital. So I would still
hook up the optical cable then you can take avantage
of dd+dts. I belive that they have seperate sections
for cleaner sound.

ART

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks