Cypher - Vincenzo Natali's latest film

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Simon Massey, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    I have been wanting to see this for some time. For those that don't know Natali was the director of Cube.

Anyway this film is best seen with as little knowledge as possible. The film is very intriguing for the first half, but as the pieces start to fall into place, it does become a little predictable. Thats not to say that it is a bad story, it just that the pay-off is not as satisfying as the set-up. Glad to see Lucy Liu in a more interesting role than the ones I've seen her in so far.

Great visual style to the film as well.

Anyone else seen this ?

2. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I saw this on the R2 DVD. It was pretty interesting. . .what struck me most was the range of Jeremy Northam's performance.

3. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

I've been waiting years to see this film, I would love to see an American release of Cypher. Looks like it won't be happening anytime in the near future through. [​IMG]

4. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I just watched this, it has been out on DVD for a while here and the chance finally came to give it a spin. A solid film that I was really into until the final act unfolded, it was quite disappointing when you compare it to everything that happens up to that point.

What is tying up its DVD release in the US?

5. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

I really liked the film. My only problem was the way that he suddenly remembers how to fly the helicopter. Couldn't he have planted a word that triggers his memory or something. That would have made much more sense than just "You can remember, if you just try."

I liked the ending - the idea that he was the kind of guy that would go through all of that just for love. To many it may have seemed anticlimactic, but it just seemed right to me. (Plus it kept him as the hero of the film, rather than just another guy involved in some huge industrial espionage exercise.)

But I really enjoyed the film, and have recommended it to friends. Not quite as good as Cube, but still well worth watching, and quite fascinating at times.