Cyndi Lauper "At Last"...Any Reviews?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Chuck L, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Have not picked this release up yet? Anyone have any thoughts on it that has?

2. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I saw her perform on Ellen last week, and wasn't thorougly floored. I'll still likely get the CD since I've enjoyed just about everything else she's ever done.

3. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

I have it, and it's great. I'm not a huge Cyndi Lauper fan, but this is a great marriage of classic songs with a very powerful voice. What I like about it is that the setting for most of the songs is simple and sparse. No unnecessary string section, and a real attempt to place each song in the best possible setting. For example, "At Last," which is every over-singer's Holy Grail, is given a quiet, thoughtful treatment.

It's not 100% wonderful, but (and this may be wishful thinking on my part) it doesn't seem like yet another washed-up singer climbing into the limelight on the back of the Great American Songbook.

4. Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt Second Unit

I rushed out to pick this up when first released, and it's simply amazing! Cyndi's interpretations give these classics a new lease on life. It's a if each song was written especially for her 4 octave voice. Naysayers take notice. This isn't another hasbeen quicky cash-in on the musical nostalgia fad. Not only does the Girl prove she's still having fun, but also that she's one hell of a vocalist!

5. robertLP

robertLP Stunt Coordinator

Well, that was annoying....