What's new

Cylinder vs Box (1 Viewer)

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
Hi Everyone,
I'm going to try and avoid using brand names in hopes of avoiding some bias. I am debating between two subwoofers and when it comes to specs (I know it's not everything) they are pretty identical. However, the big difference is that one is a cylinder and the other is a box. Unfortunately I have been unable to locate a site where i can audition the cyclinder-type sub I am interested in.

I guess this may turn into a poll type question but besides structural and cosmetic differences, are there any differences in timbre or tonal qualities that are noticeable? I am also going to ask the somewhat controversial question as to whether one is preferred over the other for music or HT usage.

I will continue to try and find somewhere where I can hear for myself, but I may have to take a gamble with this and the more input i have the better.

If more information is absolutely critical then I will go ahead and post more... but I'm really just trying to figure out how people think they differ in sound. One of the differences is that one goes to 16hz and the other 20hz. Although the 16 hz one has less wattage...anyway...like i said... I'm really trying to stick to sound differences. Thanks in advance.

-Johnal

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Johnal,

As you might be aware, SVS makes both box and cylinder subs. We don't feel there is a significant audible reason to chose one or the other. There are MANY other differences between the two form factors that might lead to one type or another however.

If you have the time, read over this page for some about the issue from at least our perspective: http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#cylinderorbox

PS in our offerings there are really only one box and one cylinder sub which are directly comparable (same amp, same woofer, porting and similar enclosure volume), namely the PB1-ISD ... and the 25-31PCi. They are both available in basic black finishes (albeit one fabric and one a fine textured box) too.

Not suprisingly they are all but sonic clones of each other. All SVS boxes and cylinders differ in major ways including finish, number of woofers, features, etc.

Ron

Peter_D

Agent
I do not have a SVS at the moment. I do have to say that as soon as i can get a new sub it will be an SVS. I love the way that they stand behind there products. I am so impressed by the way that the do bussniess. I cant wait untill i can talk my wife into letting me spend some money on a new sub. I have to try to convince her that there is something wrong with my existing one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks