What's new

Cylinder vs. Box Sub (SVS) (1 Viewer)

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the process of upgrading my sub and had the opportunity to listen to the SVS PB12-NSD. From what I've read, and now from hearing it, I'm ready to buy. As a plus, at $600, it fit's nicely into my price range.

However, at the same price point I can also get the SVS 20-39 PCi.

Can anybody help me sort out the differences between these two subs and the sub style?

Is it mostly a matter of size and weight, or is there an actual sound or feel difference?

I'm not adverse to having a 39inch cylinder in the corner.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The difference is more aesthetic than anything. In similar pricing, their performance is fairly similar. I really like the boxes (I used to have a PB-10), but I sort of prefer the cylinders. I have a 48" cylinder right now :eek: (not SVS). The PB-12 is tuned differently vs the 20-39 I believe, and will extend a bit lower. If I am not mistaken, they both use the same NSD driver as well.

BTW, SVS has a FAQ on this on their site: http://www.svsound.com/questions-faqs.cfm#cylinderorbox

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
I love my 20-39 and the little footprint it leaves in my corner. The box is just to darn big and I glad I made the choice I did. I love this sub! The only deference is size and weight.

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the vote of confidence dougals-b.

John, I re-read the faq you tagged.

Some things I got from it:

"To use the PB12-ISD as an example, it performs virtually the same as a 25-31PCi subwoofer. The PCi is $549, the PB12-NSD costs $599"

"Our PB12-NSD weighs in around 78 pounds. The smallest powered cylinder, the 25-31PCi is virtually identical in performance"

So if I liked the PB12 I heard, I could get a cylinder, similiar in performance, for $50 less, not to mention shipping savings as well.

If I stay at the same price point, I can move up to the 20-39 PCi and, I assume, actually be getting a better sub then the PB12-NSD.

Is this decsion that much of a 'no-brainer' or am I missing something here?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 25-31PCi has more output than the 20-39, but I would probably go for the 20-39 for the lower tune. I have heard the 25-31PCi with the older ISD driver and it is a pretty potent sub. I have heard the PB-12 also, and I would tend to say it does sound pretty similar to the 25-31. If you are looking to save, the 25-31 is the no brainer. If you are looking for a little more depth, the 20-39 should be considered. Make sure you check their B-stock too.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Then, once you think you've made the decision, you can start thinking "I wonder if I should just spend a little more and go with the Plus series?".

Mort

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Thats me! I started off with the 20-39 PCi and was ready to buy. Talked with Ron Stimpson and he bumped me to the 25-31 PC+ since I was mainly interested in music performance and didn't really care about movie performance. Then through further discussions with Ron he said "just buy the PB12-NSD/2 and never have to buy another sub." So I did. And I couldn't be happier. But I have a voice in my head that says "you should have got the PB12-Plus/2!" Which honestly is more than I need. Hell, the NSD/2 is more than I need. But why shouldn't I have more!!!

Here is what you should do. Buy more than you need and at the limit of what you can afford.

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator

Mort
Mort, I came into this thing thinking I'd get the PB10. So I'm already over budget :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I didn't want to mention the Pluses :D IF you find you need to upgrade in the future though, at least you already know where to go :) ->Plus->Plus/2->Ultra->Ultra/2 :eek: A buddy of mine has a 20-39Plus and it is quite impressive - in his room, it has a little more output around the mid 20s than my 15" sub (until I turn my sub up...:eek:)

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

Yep....been there, done that.....ended up throwing in the towel and going with the PC-Ultra. SVS had to send me some rubber feeters because the stock Ultra was moving across my hardwood floor.....gotta love it!!!

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
I'd go with the 20-39 PCi, it will go a bit deeper than the 25-31 PCi and play almost as loud in the higher bass frequencies. And you'll save some on shipping compared to the box sub. A good deal all the way around. :)

Brad:W

Auditioning

Just so you know this FAQ has not been updated since the redesign of the nsd. The PB-12 is now tuned to 18 Hz and is nologer more equivalent to the 25-31 but is actually tuned lower than the 20-39. You really should call SVS and ask them all these questions I have heard they are great to talk to. By the way I love my 20-39+.

Brad

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I believe the PB-12 was always tuned to 18Hz, which is why I mentioned that it extends a little lower than the 20-39.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
John,

Actually, when I was considering the PB-12 vs the PB-12 /v version I picked the V because with all ports open it is tuned lower than the PB-12, which used to be tuned to 22-23 hz, it did not drop down to 18 hz until the new version that you see on the SVS web site now, which I would guess is why they dropped the PB-12 NSD/v version that I have.

I'd also agree with what everyone else is saying on here...I'd go with either the 20-39Pci or the new verson of the PB-12 that is tuned to 18hz, both should perform about the same.

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again for all the replys. Unless someone can change my mind, I'm ordering the 20-39 PCi on Friday. Should be a nice upgrade from my 10yr old NHT 10inch.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Just wait until the box arrives. Although the footprint is small with the cylinder subs the volume is about the same as the plant stand models.....ie it's pretty BIG!!! I bought the tube do to space constraints and my wife initially hated the "water heater in the corner". (She did like the output though) Funny thing is that nobody notices it when they first come in to the room.....go figure.

Mort (who knows Dan-o is gonna love it but always wonder in the back of his mind if he shouldn't have just gone ahead and bought the plus :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks