Cylinder Sub vs Box Sub

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jonathan VDM, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Jonathan VDM

Jonathan VDM Auditioning

I am currently looking at the PB2-ISD, and the 16-46 PC+. They are both in my price range, and looks don't really matter to me. What I am wondering is what will work better for my situation. I'm pretty much 50/50 on music and HT, but want to make sure that I can get some real loud, clean, fast bass for both. I listen to a lot of techno/d&b which is definitely bass heavy. I am leaning towards the box because that's what I am used to using, but want to know if I will get more perfomance out of a cylinder sub. Thanks for any input. - Jony

2. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Room size?

When you've calibrated the speakers to 75dB to the 5.0 speakers, what do you calibrate the sub to?- 73, 75, 78dB?

What is your normal listening volume for CD's (2 channel) and DVD's?

3. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

I have had both subs and will say that I prefer the cylinder now that I own one. dont know if its the looks, how it fits into a corner so well or the better performance I think you can get from a cylinder. plus the cylinder just looks so damn cool and everyone wonders whats that! [​IMG]

this cylinder the 25-31PC+ I have is great for music and listen to my SACD's every night and buy them every weel now. all because of my sub. never heard music sound so good !

4. Jonathan VDM

Jonathan VDM Auditioning

I would say my room is roughly 18x13'. I don't have a sub yet to speak of so I'm not sure what I would calibrate it too. My normal listening levels are at about -30 to -20 for music and -20 to 0 for DVD's. +10 is the max (the receiver is a Sony DA2000ES Digital Amp). Placement is going to be a bit ackward, and I believe I would have an easier time finding a spot for the cylinder. What are the major differences between the two? Do cylinder's handle movies better than box's? Do box's have more bass? Thanks

5. Mike Reeter

Mike Reeter Agent

Jon,The PB2-ISD should clean the PC's clock,the big box has 2 ISD drivers,verses 1 driver, plus a larger amp...but,those big boxes are BIG...The PC-Series subs have the advantage on placement with the smaller footprint...

I was in the same boat,I opted for the PC-Ultra simply because I like the "look" and the easier placement of the cylinder subs...The PB2-ISD would have been a perfect sub for our set-up,I just could'nt get past the weight and the size of those BIG boxes...

I could'nt be happier with the Ultra,it is appropriately named...

6. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

Jonathon, I was considering a choice between the very 2 subs you have mentioned and Ron from Svs told me that the PB2-ISD would be the better choice. Since he runs/owns the company I figure he knows what he is talking about. [​IMG]

7. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Jonathon,
    First ask the experts at SVS.

Second Mike R was is absolutely right on. The PCUltra is AWESOME.

My expereince with SVS is 2 PC+, then 2 PB2+ and now 2 PCultras.

The winner in over al db is the PB2+s.
    But when comparing the boxes (stocked tuned to 25hz) to the 1646 cylinders the overall db gain may be negated. When I tuned the PC+ to 16hz all ports opened (not svs recommended) to the 16hz tuned box, the overall performance was with in 2db.

Now with the PCUltras all I can say is heaven!!!!

If it is overall db achieved with stock tunes the ISD will have an edge on the 1646. Tuned to 16hz, the 1646 wil make up a lot of ground. Speaking of ground will the PB2 box easily fit in the HT. Having a similar size HT the PB2 box took up a lot of real estate.

Both are great subs and The svs folks will be able to better tell you which one will fit your goals.

Scott

8. Mike Reeter

Mike Reeter Agent

Jon,I would say that Scott should be an SVS poster child!!!Don't let us sway your opinion,the SVS PB2-ISD has GOT to be the best value there is in the their line up...If you have the room for it,I'd go for it,period...

Scott,If there ever was a Heaven on Earth,it must be in your HT room...