What's new

Cycling on OLN (1 Viewer)

Alan_P

Grip
Is anyone else as happy as I am that OLN is showing cycling again on Thursday nights?!

I was wondering if you have bad picture problems from the european races, or is it the fact that AT&T is compressing the crap out of the video of the channel.

GO FOR NUMBER 4 LANCE!!!

GO FOR A WIN IN A WORLD CUP GEORGE!!!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'm not, my cable took off the encore movie channel and put this boring useless channel on. no offense to anyone who likes OLN. I just don't, big time.

DwightK

Second Unit
I TIVO all the bike racing :D
Live Giro, TourdeFrance, the Vuelta, Paris-Roubaix, Cycling heaven when the weather sucks.
It doesn't hurt that I love to ride road and mountain bikes whenever I get a chance. 28 miles today, 15 yesterday evening, 15 the evening before. A 65 mile ride coming up in may from West Yellowstone. Woot!
The picture breakup has been explained before and is a result of the satellite link up from the motorbike cameras getting gronky, especially in the mountains or in heavy tree cover.
Having OLN and Speedvision is the reason to have DTV. Just can't beat REAL auto racing like WRC, F1, Trans Am, and Cycling, and world cup sailing, and.....

OliverT

Stunt Coordinator
Cycling on OLN is one of the reasons I'm jonesin to get DirecTV. Good stuff!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yeah, cycling on OLN is the only reason I got my Dish. I've watched all the spring classics (Too bad for Hincapie doing an Ullrich into the ditch at Parix-Roubaix) I just finished watching my PVR'ed Fleche Wallogne and nead to watch the Tour of Flanders on my PVR501. Thursdays is awesome, the mountain biking season is starting so in addition to the road classics, the mountain bike races are going to start happening.

Do you part and email OLN, complementing their coverage (and live coverage at the three majors) of cycling.

As far as the picture breakup, a lot of that is the uplink from the motobikes, but I'm sure all of the channels are compressed alot (not just OLN). I hardly notice anything though on my teeny weenie 20" TV. I spend my money on my bikes though.

DwightK, West Yellowstone must be nice, post some pics if you have any in "After Hours". I'll be touring around Lake Champlain in the NY/Quebec/VT region in June on my mountain bike. Zion is also a great Nat. Park to bike around in, much better than by car anyway. I biked with Western Spirit a few years ago from Bryce to Zion and it was awesome, including some of the singletrack around Hatch, Utah.

Jay

DwightK

Second Unit
Dunno if I want to bring a camera on a road ride. I head up that way all the time anyways. Mostly mountain bike in the Tetons and nearby here though. Every trail ascends for miles, descends for a couple feet, then ascends for miles again ad infinatum until I get back to the jeep. It defies all laws of physics;) I'll try to dig up a few pics soon.
I'm about 6 hours from Moab which I intend on biking later in May and before the downhill racing season starts near Boise. No xcountry racing for me. I wanna go downhill and get hurt.
Dang Italians and all their Classics wins anyways. They should share the wins a bit. Let Georgie win one.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hey Dwight, I have this thing I got from Campmor (an outdoorsy store, like REI) that mounts to any standard tripod mount and also mounts to either a flat surface (table, window, etc) or a cylindrical shape, i.e. Handlebar) I took that when I was on a road ride in Alaska, worked pretty good except the weather was too changeable that I didn't want to leave the camera on there for too long. Would be cool to mount a Digital Video camera on it though and get handlebar shots sometimes.

Georgie has the worst luck and questionable tactics, plus no support. Last year's Paris-Roubaix he gets like a flat near the end while in the league, this year he falls into a ditch after someone's team car gets into problems. I just watched the Tour de Flanders last night where Tafi won. Now why doesn't Georgie ever attack at the end, he always seems to finish third because he doesn't seem aggressive enough (Like a Tafi or a Deryksyns (I can't spell his name!!)). I never know whether he doesn't have the legs or is he just not aggressive enough. He's kind of proved he can't win in a bunch sprint anyway so me thinks he should try to get off the front, even like that crazy Tafi guy. Tafi has won a bunch over the years even though he seems to always be on some crazy attack 10kms from the start of a 200km race. He proved it works sometimes in this year's Tour de Flanders.

Plus, where was Lance? The interview mentioned that Lance wanted to stay with Georgie since he never has any other Posties in with him at the end but he was nowhere in the group of 5. Makes one wonders if he's just doing lip service or really back into his "I'll peak for the TdF" mode. He did well but not good enough again in the Amstel Gold race just a few days ago..

May 2nd is OLN's Liege-Bastogne-Liege, set your PVRs... Thursday seems to be my companie's bike club's bike day after work for me.

Tell that Museuuw guy to stop hogging the classics too!!

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks