What's new

Cycling and general sports fans check out this story (1 Viewer)

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
The only reason one may not consider pro cyclists athletes is if one does not understand the sport. Pure and simple.

The man is a moron.

AjayM

Screenwriter
Well this is just a typical American sports writer, he doesn't understand the sport because it's not a "popular" American sport, therefore it can't be great with great athletes. And then he goes on listing great names in sports, yet I doubt some of them have basic physical ability that an endurance cyclist (or runner) would have, check out Lance's stats;

Resting heart rate: 32-34
VO2ml/kg: 83.8
Max power at VO2: 600 watts
Max heart rate: 201
Lactate Threshold HR: 178
Time Trial HR: 188-192
Pedal rpm's during TT: 95-100
Climbing rpm's: 80-85, sometimes faster when attacking
Average HR during endurance rides (4-6 hrs): 124-128
Average watts during endurance rides: 245-280 watts
Training miles/hours, endurance rides: 5- 6 hrs / 100-130miles

Now some of those stats are fairly common among top athletes, but do they have the endurance?

Tommorow Lance will be doing the Time Trial, he's going to be riding about 60 miles, including one categorized climb...I'd say he will be able to complete the whole thing in just a little over an hour...going by the above stats, his TT heart rate is around 90% of his max....and he's going to be doing it for just over an hour, how many "top athletes" can sustain that? How about after 2+ weeks of 100+ mile days?

So can Lance hit a baseball like the greats, or shoot a round at St Andrews against Tiger, or maybe go toe to toe with Jerry Rice? Obviously not....but not a single one of those guys can do what any of the Pro TdF riders do in 3 weeks.

Andrew

Jim_F

Screenwriter
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

(sorry, couldn't resist)

AjayM

Screenwriter
...riding about 60 miles...in just a little over an hour...
Well, my math is a little optimistic (ok I made a big mistake), the time trial is only about 35 miles long, and will probably be done in under an hour (again depending on how bad the climb is).

The top guys can get moving very quickly (considering they are the one's powering the bike), especially during the time trials. LeMond (another famous US cyclist) won the 89 Tour de France by winning the final time trial, he average I believe around 35mph over a 15 mile course...he made up a 50 second deficit to the leader of the race, and won by 8 seconds.

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks