Cycling and general sports fans check out this story

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edan W, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Edan W

Edan W Stunt Coordinator

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Ha Ha, that was funny, every year we get at least two or three of these articles and if they weren't so off-the-wall, maybe I would take them more seriously. Except 99% of the time, the writer is just so off-kewter that it is an obvious attempt at publicity. Look at his byline, he's a writer who follows boxing and the NFL. Gee, that makes him an expert on cycling.. not!
    On the other hand, I hope Lance's domination in ONE race per season doesn't diminish other riders who have ridden hard all year long, wanted to win every race, every points competition, every jersey. I like watching a rider who rides the Vuelta and the Giro and the TdF high in the standings, like Tyler Hamilton or the classic riders like Johann Museauw, not just the GC riders..
    Obviously this year the media attention has been huge, seeing Richard Virenques name on WNBC's ticker was a surprise when he won the Mont Ventoux stage...
    Lets put some Rockettes on some bikes and make them do the Galibier and La Madaleine and La Plagna next time [​IMG]
    Jay
    Jay

3. Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel Stunt Coordinator

Wow...

4. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Almost have to envy a guy whom gets paid to be an internet troll.

5. Edan W

Edan W Stunt Coordinator

6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

And his comment comparing golf to pool is pretty stupid too. He should try riding a bike in that race before making stupid, uninformed comments. "Worlds Greatest Athlete" is just hyperbole that is used and overused in every sport.

7. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

While the column may seem crazy on the surface, it makes one wonder: why do we value certain physical activities and sports more than others?

His lumberjack comparison was right on. Who's to say that bicycling is more important than chopping logs? Who's to say that being able to shoot a basketball through a hoop is more important than arm wrestling? Why do we care that Tiger can hit a golf ball very well? When you boil it down, there are very few "pure" sports -- boxing, wrestling, swimming, and track come to mind.

I guess it boils down to what society wants. If society wants to watch Lance or Tiger or Barry do their thing, but can't get excited over the talents of Joe Lumberjack (who may be more physically gifted and capable than all of them), that's just the way it is.

8. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Yeah, in some ways, we define sports very backwards compared to the original definition. Tiger does not have to be very atheletic. Skill is the word there. Same with baseball... they dont have to lift anything heavy, push anything, etc, and I'd be surprised if many player run 600 yards in a single game, so golf and baseball are probably closer to pool than you might think at first.

9. John Harrison

There was an idiot back in '89 that was pissed when Greg LeMond was chosen at SI's athlete of the year.
    He made this stupid comment: If given a bat he'd strike out, given a golf club he'd triple bogey, etc... But if given a bike, he could damn well ride up a mountain, which I doubt but that's beside the point.
    What seemed to escape him was that he could ride, but not fast enough to compete. How is that different from playing baseball (but not good enough to compete), or golf (but not good enough to compete), etc...
    These guys seem to wallow in their ignorance.
    Two words: Mo Ron [​IMG]

10. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Yes, most anybody can play 4 rounds of golf in a weekend or throw a baseball 120 times in a day, even if they're not good at it. How many golfers, ballplayers, etc. can ride a bike over 2000 miles in 3 weeks, with or without the mountains and world class competition. I'd even be willing to drop the daily time limit.
    There may be no point in comparing atheletes in different disciplines, but a little respect doesn't seem like too much to expect.

11. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Well, sorry to be the party pooper but I happen to agree with him...except for his comment about golf.

12. John Harrison

Care to elaborate? I hope your reasons of thinking that cyclists are not athletes is better thought out than his.

13. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Is Lance an athlete? Of course. What I agree with the writer on is I don't see him in the company of the all time greats. The greatest cyclist? Sure.

When I think of great athletes the following folks come to mind: Jordan, Jackie J. Kersee, Ali, Gretzky(sp?), etc.

14. John Harrison

I see said the blind man. [​IMG]
    I would include him with that list, though.

15. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

16. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Side note regarding cycling in these big events: do these guys ever get a flat tire? If so, how long would it take them to change it? Could something like that knock Armstrong out of the lead?

17. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Yes, they get flats. A team car follows with spare wheels. The position of the team car in the caravan is determined by the team's position in the race. The Postal car get to be at the front since Lance is leading. It takes less than 30 seconds to change a wheel. If the car is not in a good position, (there are a lot of rules governing this) one of Lance's teammates would give him a wheel and wait to get one from the car. This is also how they get food, water and clothing.

18. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    re: Flats.

Yeah, they can and do get flats but every team has team cars and there is a neutral car that follows them around (The yellow Mavic sponsored cars (Mavic is a popular French rim maker)). If you get a flat, you have to signal your team car either by radio, or via a hand signal. usually takes the pro mechanics all of 10-15 seconds to replace the wheel with a new one. If there's a mechanical problem, they can actually fix it while riding or simply replace the bike with one of the spares on the roof. So a flat isn't terribly costly unless it's on a climb or a descent where one could lose momentum and the pack. Which is why you'll see other riders in the team drop back to help the person with the flat.

Lance has such a huge lead, he'd really have to crash out of the tour to really lose the yellow. There's one more time trial before the finish in Paris on sunday but Lance will probably win that anyway just for good measure. All he has to do is shadow Beloki and Rumsas (an amazing ride, much like Levi's ride in the Vuelta!!) who are in 2nd and 3rd, respectively.

Jay

19. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

99% of sports "journalists" are idiots. It's a very lame profession. Most of them are just hangers-on, has-beens, never-weres, also-rans and wannabes with big chips on their shoulders.

I don't know if Lance is THE best athlete in the world, but he is undoubtedly ONE OF the best athletes in the world, hands down.

20. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

There's idiot journalists out there, but every now and then you get somebody with a really good idea. Read what this guy is doing for the Tour here
    Andrej