Cyborgs have rights too!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob_J, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Rob_J

Rob_J Stunt Coordinator

2. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

I love the last line...

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

5. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

While this is an extreme example, I have to wonder if people who wear prosthetics are going to need doctors' notes to board planes. My wife has an artificial leg, and I'd hate to have to miss a flight because some security person doesn't believe her after her prosthesis sets off the metal detector.

We haven't flown since Sept. 11, so I don't know how airport security is supposed to handle "cyborgs" or amputees for that matter. In the past we'd just tell them that she has a prosthesis and they would just scan her with the "wand" and let her go. I don't know what will happen now, post 9/11.

KJP

6. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

Seriously, though.

Imagine you are a security guard at an airport, and some dude walks up to you totally wired all over his body with black boxes that you don't recognize (it's not like he had some Sony brand cyborg components!). He has a note from a doctor saying that he needs all this stuff. Given the current environment you are more than a little suspicious, and want to see exactly what all these boxes do. You ask to x-ray his computer, and he refuses. That would raise all sorts of red flags for me.

If I were in line behind this guy, and simply producing a doctors note allowed him to pass through security without all his crazy wires and boxes and computers being x-rayed, I would refuse to board the plane!

It sucks that he says items were damaged, and that he was treated rudely, but seriously, does he expect to just waltz through security onto a flight with a whole bunch of home-brew electronics?

7. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

He insisted he could not remove the items for medical reasons

Since the report says he was bleeding after security removed some of the electronics, I would guess he had some of them actually grafted to his skin. Biofeedback electronics have been around for some time.

While the majority here seem to think that this guy is nuts, I tend to side with him. Electronics by themselves aren't dangerous. The security personell should be able to know the difference between an explosive device and just a processor, no matter the configuration.

8. Rob_J

Rob_J Stunt Coordinator

Danny, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you. If this guy was wearing a "wearable PC", it would be the same as having your laptop turned on all the time. They don't let people turn on their computers (or any electronics) until the plane is at cruising altitude because there is a chance the frequencies might interfere with the plane's systems. I'm not going to let some nerd sitting next to me break all the rules and possibly endanger my life and everyone else's simply because he's too addicted to computers to turn off his "implants" (or whatever you would call it).

Quite honestly, I think this guy is nuts. Until his devices are certified to be safe on airplanes, in hospitals, near explosives, etc., I hope he stays as far from me as possible. It's kind of like building your own super-car and wanting to drive it on all the public roads. Who's to say it's safe?

But that's just my opinion. I think the work he is doing is pretty cool... but he should keep it in the lab until it's ready for the public.

9. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

10. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

The problem is that we still don't require even a high diploma for security guards. They have no real training and act like robots. They strip search a "grandma" that needs wheeled onto the plane simply because she has a pacemaker because they don't know how to tell a threat. It is the same as the "we have to card you unless you look 90" rules because the owner assumes everyone hired is a dolt or will sell to underage friends.
    This guy was clearly up-front with them about all the crap on him. He complied with their request for a note, and that should have been the end of the story. Robots don't know the difference and that's why we are no more secure. Perhaps some cyborgs should be working security. [​IMG]

11. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Joseph hit the nail on the head.

12. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

Thats a tough one. He should be able to board a plane as long as they are not harmful, but how does the poorly educated security guard tell whats harmful and whats not? Even a well educated guard? When such implants become more common, I'm sure that there well be a sort of certification for them, but until then...

The biggest problem I have with security (which makes me take the cyborg's side) is that they told him to come back with a doctor's note and he did and that still wasn't good enough. If that weren't good enought, they shoudn't have told him it was the day before.

jeremy