cybertonics 500 (best buy) DVD player.......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sergio Z., Jan 3, 2003.

1. Sergio Z.

Sergio Z. Stunt Coordinator

Did anyone get this for Christmas? or what have you heard about it's performance? Supposedly is a progressive scan player for cheap....is it worth it? Thanks guys.

2. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

Are you referring to the CyberHome CH-DVD 500 dvd player? I haven't heard of the Cybertonics. Best Buy has the Cyber Home player on sale now. I have one on order, based on comments in this forum, but they are backordered right now.

3. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    I picked up an open box unit at Best Buy last night for $36 after rebate. At this point, I only plan on using it for non-R1 DVDs and MP3's, but I haven't had the chance to test it yet since the open box unit didn't include the remote, and it apparently has no codes that support universal remotes. Best Buy, of course, has no replacements, so I'll have to wait to hear from CyberHome. (I did find the remote at the Argus/CyberHome online store for $10, but I want to see what Customer Support's response will be first.)

Given that the region-coding hack is so easy, I think it's a no-brainer for $50 after rebates, regardless of how well it performs as a progressive scan player (which, alas, I also haven't been able to test).

4. Sergio Z.

Sergio Z. Stunt Coordinator

oops, sorry eveybody...yes, I meant Cyber Home...I thought Cybertronics did sound unreasonably cool for this "cheap price" player after i first posted [​IMG] ...yes, is the prog scan one only in silver? and the basic one in black....i hope not, wanted the prog scan to be black...

5. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

I ordered mine online from Best Buy. In looking at the picture both at Best Buy and at the Cyber Home website, the CH-500 appears to be silver. I haven't see a black version of that unit. Don't know about other model numbers. I intend to use the Cyber Home as a secondary unit - interfacing with my Panasonic DVD Recorder. My primary dvd player is a JVC 502SL.

6. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

Yep, the CH 500 is only in silver. No black. I was sad too. But for the price, it can't be beat even if it was hot pink with green racing stripes. Don't let the price fool you, it's a great player if you're looking for a region free one. If region free isn't what you're after, then you may want to look past this player.

7. Andrew Johnston

Andrew Johnston Auditioning

I just set mine up (ordered from bestbuy.com and was able to take advantage of their in-store pickup option) and it seems to work very well. On the setup menu, when I had "format" set to "P-Scan" (with "system" also set to "Progressive") I was getting a lot of jitters and skipped frames on my French IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE disc (this was not a problem, however, with the Italian disc of THE LEOPARD when I tried that out). Setting "format" to "auto" took care of the problem. I'm not sure if the picture is interlaced instead of progressive that way, but, hey, for a $50 region-free player (replacing my second dead Malata), I'm not going to complain. The TV is a Wega XBR450, BTW.