What's new

Cyberpunk 2077 (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have no interest in playing The Witcher. Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't appeal to me. I still think this is going to be huge.

I mean, if Fallout 76 and Anthem can have their diehard fans who preorder those games and move millions of copies despite being turds, I'm sure a highly-anticipated and well-polished game from the developer behind a hit like The Witcher 3 can be successful.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
From the studio that made The Witcher 3, based on a popular board game, and now starring Keanu Reeves at the precise moment when he's having a pretty massive "moment?"

Yeah, this thing is going to be absolutely huge.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Now that I've played some TW3 I get the excitement for a new release from these guys. I had no idea we were talking 2020-1 for a release date, sounds like PS5 territory. I wonder if this game would be big enough for a tie-in?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The release date is next spring, which means PS4/XBO. I think they pretty explicitly stated a year or so ago that they were aiming for current gen. That said...there's no way that trailer was in-game graphics. I could see them trying to port it up to PS5 and the next Xbox in order to have something at launch but it's still a current-gen thing.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Sam - what do you mean? You're getting it on PC or the video was on PC? They've confirmed it was a pre-rendered CGI cutscene, not in-game graphics, and released a brief gameplay video later. It looks good but very much current-gen. Though I imagine PC mods will improve that.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Agreed that PCs will do it better. And I could see this getting a re-release on next-gen. But it won't look like the trailer.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think it's very clear that video was neither gameplay nor in-engine footage. They have shown a good amount of real gameplay and, while it looks good, it doesn't look THAT good. So I wouldn't even think that this was a "claim" they made. I think it was, at best, setting up part of the story or establishing a mood for the game.

And that's honestly kind of been the story of this E3. Halo Infinite showed footage from the actual engine, but...it's an Xbox One game AND a Scarlett launch game. That explains why it kind of was...underwhelming. A lot of games that are far off have been showing pre-rendered videos rather than in-engine stuff. But this is all an aside to the topic here.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Morgan: what brought me to say the 2020-21 timeframe is I had read reports (from inside and outside the developer) that they could barely get something "good enough" together to meet the E3 deadline. Lots of chatter about what's going on inside CDPR with employees...of course I know nothing.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll wait for an actual game and reviews. These guys are spending so much money making pretty "movie" trailers and hiring a celebrity that I wonder what is going to be left to go into the actual game and game play? It smells like a repeat of WATCHDOGS. Huge hype and promises of never before seen levels of detail and game play followed by one of the biggest let downs ever.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah no. Witcher shows these guys deliver

The past is no guarantee of the future. EA and other publishers/developers have made plenty of good games as well as plenty of shit. Why would these guys be immune to the same disease that every major game publisher and/or developer has experienced? I want to see an actual game to make judgments on, not "movie" trailers.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
That's not an entirely accurate argument, though. "EA" didn't make bad games, a handful of studios that are owned by EA made bad games. EA is more of a publisher than a developer at this point, so they own a bunch of companies that actually produce the games. The Witcher and Cyberpunk are being developed by the same company, which is sort of different.

That said, I don't entirely disagree with your sentiment. Yeah, CDPR did make The Witcher III, but they also made The Witcher 1 and 2, which are not remembered anywhere near as fondly as 3 is presently celebrated. That said, I'm pretty sure Cyberpunk will be exactly what people are hoping for, considering the press buzz is still really positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks