CyberHome CH-DVD 500- Comments?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Zach Foster, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Zach Foster

Zach Foster Stunt Coordinator

Wow, now this little 'ol DVD Player feels out of place on a page full of threads about Denons, etc, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a CH-DVD 500. More specifically, in regards to the hookups they use. I have what I consider to be a fairly good TV (A nice RCA 27 inch flat screen) and currently I have my Player hooked up to it via standard A/V cables. My TV produces a great picture, but I have noticed that via A/V cables, I see "ghost lines" from the DVD Player whenever a movie has scenes that are in black. Should I upgrade to component video cables for the Player? (The RCA has component video ins) I know that on average, you cannot go wrong with component cables, but I was just wondering what people's experience was, in using those cables on a CyberHome. On such a cheap player, would it benefit by using components? Would it eliminate my "ghosting"? Or is that just inherent on this cheap player? I will go to components if it truly will make a difference, but if not, I'll just grit and bare it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Goto your local CC and get some component cables. If it looks better keep them otherwise take them back.

Kevin

3. Chris_Cur

Chris_Cur Agent

Does your tv have an s-video input open? I'd try that. S-video cables are cheaper than component cables, anyway.

I've got to say that for every regular 27-inch or smaller TV I've seen, there isn't a great deal of difference between components and s-video. The quality jump from composite to s-video is almost always incredible. On most smaller TVs, the jump from s-video to component isn't anywhere as noticeable.

That's just my opinion, of course. YMMV.

4. Zach Foster

Zach Foster Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I've thought about S-Video- I have my PS2 hooked up via components, so I guess thats the image I'm hoping to get from my DVD Player. Although, I wonder, since I've grown used to my PS2 on component cables, am I just expecting too much from my cheap player, and would be better off just getting S-Video? Thanks!