What's new

CyberHome CH-DVD 300... worth it? (1 Viewer)

KevinMB

Grip
Recently, I decided to purchase my girlfriend a small, inexpensive DVD player and I found the CH-DVD 300 at Sears for $39.99. Is this player really worth it? The price and the size are very attractive, but I don't want to pay $40 for a dud.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I really don't think you will find to many members here who will recommend any of those $39.99 dvd players. The picture might be acceptable, the sound not that great and the quality very suspect. DVD players have a few moving parts which might stop moving shortly after that 90 day warranty runs out. I'd say spend another $20 or so and look for a name brand like Magnavox, Samsung or Toshiba. They are regularly on sale for $59.99 at the big box stores. Anyhow, in that price range everything is a gamble. Hope your luck is better than mine! Gene

KevinMB

Grip
Thanks for the input. To be honest, the video and the sound really do not have to be that great because my girlfriend's TV isn't too great (mono). I'm basically looking for a cheap player that she can use until her and I move in together, at which point we'll likely only use my Panasonic and Phillips players.

If anyone else would like to recommend players that are cheap, but won't fall apart after 90days, please help! Also, one of the reasons why I was curious about the CH 300 was because of it's compact size. my g/f has a VERY cramped room and doesn't have too much space for a DVD player set up.

Keith M.

Second Unit
KevinMB:

I recently picked one of these up to simply play custom ht intro dvds in my theater. Of course, its not up to par w/ my 9000es, but it does the job fine. The only complaint I would have is about the crappy remote. It doesnt have a very strong signal and uses penlight batteries. But problem was resolved by programming my pronto.

The build quality is impressive for such a cheap player. And the form factor is nice and small...

Picture quality w/ progressive component output is decent. No noticible flaws or ringing...

The sound quality is fine.

And it plays all region discs...:D

ZoranM

Stunt Coordinator
I also have a this player I picked it up from walmart on boxing day for $49.99 CA.

I bought it for my 8 year old daughters room, it is hooked up to a 13 inch rca stereo tv. I haven't noticed any problems with it and she hasn't complained of any either.

When I first bought I looked up some reviews on it and they all mentioned a heat problem. So I just made sure it has good ventilation where it is.

Also when I first brought it home I hooked it up to my HT setup to see how it was. The progressive picture wasn't top bad at all but I noticed in scenes with alot of different audio it tended to clip the sound every once in awhile (maybe 3 or 4 times in the movie). This was using the coaxial audio output.

That said this is an awsome side player for say a bedroom or kitchen. You can make it region free and also it plays dvd-mp3 disks which is always nice. In fact I tried 4 different dvd-r disks and 3 different cd-r disks and it played everything I through at it. If I had any real suggestions it would be to buy it from WalMart if you can. I'm not sure about in the States but here if you have the receipt and you have any problems you get a full cash refund, no questions asked for upto a year. Then you don't have to worry about the 90 day warranty the player comes with.

Anyway hope this helps,

cheers,

Zoran

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Please post requests for information on specific players in this section. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level. Thanks.

KevinMB

Grip
I really do appreciate all the help. I will likely pick this up for my g/f and maybeone for myself, because my Panasonic is dying after 5 years of good service.

Also, I apologize for posting in the wrong forum. As you can tell by my post count, I'm a newbie and just havn't picked up on how things work around here.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I believe the Cyberhomes are easily hackable to play all region dvds. I have the CH-500 and it plays pal region 2 discs with ease.

It also has a pretty good picture for the money that I spent on it, though I only use it for non-region 1 discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks