What's new

CW34X92 locks in FULL mode with progressive signal? (1 Viewer)

I'm interested in buying a Toshiba CW34X92 set, and I'd like to know if this tv locks into full mode (16X9) with progressive scan and 4X3 material (like, X-Files series, or Casablanca, for example) or it will display the image in normal mode (with black bars on its sides), even when using a progressive player?
I'm asking this because I knoww that many HDTV-ready tvs usually lock into full mode (16X9) when a progressive signal is detected, even if it is 4X3 material, so that's why there are progressive players that squeeze the pic on its sides, creating black vertical bars, so that it can be stretched when the tv enters into full mode, right?
Well, does CW34X92 lock into full mode with this type of material in progressive?
Thanks for your attention,
Cristiano

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Yes. I have the CW34XC2, which is the same TV but in Canada.
You can solve the problem with a player like the Panasonic RP91 which allows scaling to 4:3.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

Thanks for your answer! :)
So, I presume this set really locks into 16X9 if a progressive signal is received, right?
I would have to disable progressive scan in the player to be able to watch old films or any 4X3 material on DVDs, and to rely on the line doubler found in the CW34, right?
This means that true progressive, only with 16X9 material, right?
[Edited last by Cristiano Leal on September 02, 2001 at 01:04 AM]

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
This means that true progressive, only with 16X9 material, right?
Not if you're using a Panasonic RP91 players as the Eugene mentioned. It will scale all non-enhanced material to appear as 16x9 so even though the TV will lock into wide mode, the image will not appear distorted.

Thanks, Dmitri!
Well, what I meant was: if I use a player that don't scale 4X3 material to to appear as 16x9, the only way to watch it without distortion would be turnning the progressive signal off from the player, right?
I'm asking this because I live in Brazil (Region 4) and the only progressive player available here that can play R1 and R4 discs is the Pioneer Elite DV-37, and I don't think this player have this 4X3 to 16X9feature.
And I'll must buy this player, because:
1 - We still don't have any progressive players made in Brazil, only interlaced ones.
2 - I need a player that can play R1 and R4 discs, and the Elite DV-37 (with all its faults and virtues, as many people can argue) would be the logical choice for me as it is the only progressive player that has been selling for a few months here hacked for code-free.
My new CW34X92 should be arriving by next weekend, and, sure, I'll have plenty of time to experiment with all modes, at least in interlaced, as I'll only buy a new progressive player by next April (this TV has got me short on cash until the end of the year!)
Cristiano

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Cristiano, you're right. But there's another option that you should look into -- Malata 996 DVD player if it's available in Brazil -- it's code free, plays NTSC and PAL discs and has built-in scaling, just like the Panasonic.
Good luck!
[Edited last by Dmitry on September 02, 2001 at 11:40 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks