What's new

Cutting a hole in the wall for rear projection TV? (1 Viewer)

Jim Rykel

Agent
I know I've seen this done by someone here, but can't find any examples doing a search.

I have a small dedicated HT room in the basement and thought I might add a couple of feet by cutting a hole in my wall and placing my 61" Tosh WS behind it so only the screen protrudes from the wall. It's drywall with exposed studs behind.

Any examples of this? Any thoughts? I don't want it to look cheesy...:)

Jim

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I believe most build false walls around their RPTV's so it looks like it's depressed into the wall. Are you sure your wall is 2' thick, seems like a lot of wasted space if so. If you do this, make sure your not cutting into any bearing walls and such.

Peace Out~:D

Jim Rykel

Agent
Ron - my wall isn't 2 feet thick - the TV is!:D

I will pick up the extra space by moving the TV behind the wall. It's not a load-bearing wall and is only drywall and exposed studs in back. Should be fairly simple, but would like to see other examples or read anyone's experience doing this.

Jim Rykel

Agent
Thanks Eric - Your's was the one I remember seeing. I've got some serious measuring and planning to do before I tackle this project!

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
No problem, feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions on how to do it...in short, cut the studs, install a header, and frame the opening as you would a window and you're all set! :D

E

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Hey,

Just a reminder...It's not recommended to box in a rptv, It needs to breath. Thats what I was told when the came to bring my rptv, and they saw where it was going.

You see I did something similar I put mine in the closet. The the closet is 12 inches wider than the rptv (6 inches on either side. I then put up curtains on either side to hide the gaps and still the rptv can get some air. I did discuss this with the store employees and they still said it was iffy but was definetly better than toatally boxing it in like I was original plannig

Just my 2 cents
Ed

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Ed, as long as you give it room to breath from behind, where the most venting occurs as well as underneath, one should be ok. To completely close it off and have no place for air to go would be bad yes!

E

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Yes exactly Eric,

I noticed your theater is done right. I however wanted Jim and others to know that it does need to breath.

As I stated my situation is really borderline.

Thanks,
Ed

Jim Rykel

Agent
The back of my TV will be completely open - plenty of ventilation where it's going. Thanks for the advice - might start this next week!

PaulJ

Auditioning
bttt

I am currently doing basically the same idea and would love to know how your project is coming along.

I am building a wall out from the basement block wall about 40" or so. The rear projection will sit behind the wall. The only thing that gave me trouble was on my particular TV (Sony 57HW40) the bottom of the TV has a "lip" that protrudes out about 2-3" preventing the TV from sitting flush with the drywall. However, I have built a "step" (like you see under fireplaces) that will allow the "lip" to slide under and into allowing the screen to be flush with the drywall.

Would be interested in how you plan to "frame" around your TV.

RonnieT

Stunt Coordinator
I'm doing the same thing too. I have it framed up, drywalled, and almost complete so I'll attach a pic for you to look at.

I'm going to use mdf as my shelfs and after reading this thread, I'm going to cut grooves into the bottom of my shelf and in the back through to the other side of the wall for venting.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
PaulJ, back when I did this with my RPTV...I tucked the fabric around the tv to give the appearance that the screen was mounted on the wall:

I left about 2" of fabric around the opening of the hole for the TV so that I'd have enough fabric to "tuck" into that 1/8" gap I had on all sides of the screen. I used a
small putty knife to gently push the fabric into the gaps! I was elated when this turned out. What's great is not a single light leaked anywhere, it's VERY sealed!

The actual screen sticks out about 1/2" or so from the wall itself.

So there's ONE way to frame around the screen/tv.

E

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks