What's new

Cutsom CD's (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know where I can get CD's made up (for band demos) that come with full color art on the label as well as an insert in the jewel case??

I would like to find a place like CafePress or Zazzle that will allow you to do short runs (like 5 or 10). Zazzle doesn't offer audio CD's and while CafePress has an awesome CD package, that function hasn't worked in over a year.

I don't want to use the duplication services like DiscMakers because I don't want to spend over $100.

Ideas?? Hell, I'd even be willing to burn the CD's myself if I could find a place that will print up the blank discs and inserts.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
If you're just making 5 or 10 at a time, why don't you just buy an Epson Artisan 50 printer from Amazon (which prints directly onto printable discs), and some printable CD-Rs from Rima?

Epson Artisan 50 printer $100
http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Artisan-Inkjet-Printer-C11CA45201/dp/B00275G08W/

Hub-printable, inkjet printable CD-Rs by T-y (qty 100) $30
http://tinyurl.com/yfgxple

$130 initial investment for 100 discs. Assuming you don't run out of ink. Let's say $200 for 100 discs, or $2/disc total. You won't find any commercial place that will be less expensive than that.

Please note these are not labels. This set up will let you print in full color directly onto discs.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I have to also wonder why you're making discs at all. Do music blogs and music websites still ask for CDs? Or do they ask for files to be available for download in lossless and 320kbps mp3 from your website (or RapidShare) or whatnot?

Or is this for clubs, to get gigs?

In either case I'd say skip the jewel case insert. Or just make a basic white card with white text giving the track info, that can fit into a CD envelope. No need to make the art fancy when they'll know they're only demos.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Will, it's for the bar owners (to get gigs). They all ask for "Press Packs" and we just do this for fun and only play only play out once a month, so we really can't afford a lot. In fact, we bought a new PA system at the beginning of the year and just paid it off a few months ago, so going back into debt (especially when this is just for fun), is not something the band wants right now or anytime soon.

The CD Printer is too much of an investment because (like I said) we're only doing it for the bar owners and I want a down and dirty (but still professional looking) way of printing up some CD's with a good looking insert (with band info and contact info, etc.)

CafePress used to have an option for a full color CD with a 4 page booklet and even printing on the back insert, but they no longer offer it. This would have been an ideal option for us because it was only around $11 per CD. We only need 3 or 4 right right now (to get some new gigs) and can't afford much more than $30 or $40

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I understand. But if any of you plans on getting a printer (since it is also a regular printer, it just happens to also accept discs), that's the one to get.

I guess my best advice then is that you should post a Craigslist post asking for someone who has that set-up to burn and print you some CDs. There must be some people around who would do that for maybe $5 a disc rather than the $10 you'll get from a printshop.

Or consider the possibility that the clubs don't even need a labeled disc. The bar owners may be fine if it says 'TDK', and if the song list is only written on a sheet of paper. After all they aren't building a music library, they're just popping it in to listen for a couple minutes. Maybe they don't need anything fancy at all.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I have never used them myself but you might want to check out http://www.lulu.com/

Standard CD Color Jewel Case, 2-panel insert with tray card, qty 4 or less is $5.50 per unit. If you order 5 or more you start getting a little cheaper. For instance, order 5 at a time and the cost drops to $4.50 per unit.

-Keith

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oh cool! Thanks Keith, that looks like what I'm looking for. Like I said, I only need a couple right now and maybe one or two more over the next 6 months, so this would be perfect if it works out. - I really hated the idea of buying one of those sticker-type "Do-It-Yourself" labeling systems from Staples....they just don't scream professional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks