Cuts in Disney Classic/Masterpiece Animation Releases

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sam R. Aucoin, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Sam R. Aucoin

Sam R. Aucoin Stunt Coordinator

If this has been covered before, I apologize (I could not find such a subject by searching). If any of you are aware of any other cuts/modifications to the classic/masterpiece animations that have been released so far from Disney on DVD, please add to the list below. Thanks.
    1. A Goofy Movie - LD presented the movie in OAR 1.85:1; the DVD is full screen-standard (1.33:1). If you still have the LD, hold on to it, as it appears it is the only way to see the movie in its OAR.

2. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Fantasia had some scenes of the black centaurette reframed, some of them altered or removed.
    Dumbo had some scenes with the crows removed.
    Melody Time, Make Mine Music, and Saludos Amigos are all missing footage. I don't really know the details on these, perhaps someone else can fill us in.

3. Sam R. Aucoin

Sam R. Aucoin Stunt Coordinator

Carl, you are correct. I researched a bit more and discovered the following:
    2. Fantasia:
    (A) Deems Taylor's original narration from the theatrical release was dubbed by another actor for the home video release (and perhaps for re-releases in theaters as well).
    (B) Black "handmaidens" were removed, as they were considered to be demeaning because the "black characters" were "waiting on" and "attending to" only "white characters", with none the other way around.
    3. Saludos Amigos - all scenes of characters smoking cigarettes have been removed.
    4. Melody Time - same as for Saludos Amigos - all scenes of characters smoking cigarettes have been removed.
    5. Dumbo - several MINUTES of the movie were removed where crows were shown to be supposedly "jive talking", and thus considered unwanted stereotypes. In reality, they were simply talking in a 1940's-1950's "hip" type style, and did not (in my opinion) demean any racial segment of our society.
    6. Make Mine Music - entire segment of the "Martins and Coys" has been removed, and part of the "Casey at Bat" segment has been removed.
    7. Song of the South - this one is easy - NOT RELEASED IN THE US AND PROBABLY NEVER WILL BE. Can only be purchased on Ebay, and was only printed for home release in the Far East (I believe, only Japan).
    [Edited last by Sam R. Aucoin on October 23, 2001 at 09:54 AM]

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

5. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Regarding the cutting of smoking scenes from some of the 1940s Disney features....
    We all know how wrong it is to re-write cinematic history in this way. But, what's-the-point when in its latest release, Atlantis, Disney paraded out a slew of ethnically identified stereotypes for characters--including one who was a chain smoker?!?!
    BTW, does anyone know if the crow scenes in Dumbo which were excised from the video release several years back will continue to be cut from the new DVD release? It would be a shame considering the wonderful restoration
    efforts Disney is now undertaking in its DVD releases.
    Thanks,
    Mike

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Dumbo didn't have those crow scenes cut out.
    Someone asked Scott MacQueen (supervisor for Disney restorations) and he said that those scenes were not in the final cut.
    The other Disney films, however, are indeed censored in one way or another.
    If you want to see what was hacked out of Fantasia, look at http://calvincrowe.tripod.com/fantasia/
    ------------------
    Visit my DVD review site, 24 fps DVD Reviews @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/DVD/
    and
    The Colorized Cartoon Database @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/
    [Edited last by PatrickMcCart on October 23, 2001 at 11:02 AM]

8. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
  9. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

I cannot speak for Scott MacQueen, but there is a reason why Deems Taylor's voice was dubbed for the "roadshow version" now on DVD.
    About half of Taylor's dialogue was cut away in the late 1940's when "Fantasia" went through the first of many edits. The most widely seen version of the film (the general release version that was released in theatres and video for its 50th Anniversary in 1990) has whatever is left of Taylor's original tracks, and such as it is he is only visually onscreen for the beginning of the picture.
    The missing roadshow footage was found, but not all of Taylor's dialogue tracks (which apparently had been trashed years earlier), so it became necessary for Disney to hire voice actor Corey Burton to re-dub all of Taylor's lines (following an original continuity account of the roadshow version that had fortunately been saved), and that's what you now see and hear on the DVD.
    ------------------
    hips
    SUPERMAN Web Central
    http://www.geocities.com/hiphats/supmain.html

10. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

quote: Dumbo didn't have those crow scenes cut out.
    Someone asked Scott MacQueen (supervisor for Disney restorations) and he said that those scenes were not in the final cut.
    [/quote]
    Really? What is the source for this? Everything I've read, including Glenn Erickson's DVD Savant column on the subject, indicates that they were cut out during the 1950s but well after the original release. I would expect MacQueen would know if anyone does, but this certainly goes against all I've ever heard.
    I know that the crows showed up much more in the Dumbo storybook my mom had from about the time of the original release, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they survived final cutting.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."
    [Edited last by Mark Zimmer on October 25, 2001 at 08:51 AM]

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

"Aladdin" has some lyrics changed in the opening song changed and sounds painfully obvious that it's been redubbed. The new lyrics are "Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense"; the original lyrics were "Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face".

12. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
    I realize this is not an animation flick, but Homeward Bound was released theatrically at 1.85:1 and released on DVD at 1.33:1. Ugh!

13. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I forgot about the song change in Aladdin. Was the original version ever released to home video on any format?
    What about the soundtrack? I have the CD, and it has the ORIGINAL lyrics. Was the soundtrack release ever altered? Do I have a rare collector's item on my hands?

14. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

I remember in "Beauty and the Beast" after it first few weeks of the original release was cut. During the ending of the song "Gaston" his sidekick Lefou tries to spell Gaston's name and doesn't know how. The original lyrics are on the original soundtrack and in the box set of music from Allan Menken and Howard Ashman.
    I'm sure when the movie is rereleased this Jan. All the offending (think the original cut of "A Fish called Wanda) will be removed on the soundtrack.

15. Jeff Graebner

Jeff Graebner Auditioning

16. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Who Framed Roger Rabbit has the few seconds cut from when Bennie the Cab smashes up, Jessica Rabbit is thrown clear and you can see up her skirt. As most of us know, there was a coloring problem during the cel creation and Jessica's panties where colored flesh-tone, instead of the intended Red (same as her dress).
    When WFRR is revisted as a special edition, as I hope it will, I hope Disney will color-correct the panties color to red (yes, after-the-fact alteration) rather than simply cut the frames. I'd rather have the original, screwed-up version, but I personally venture to say that the color correction is better than the outright removal.
    Also, I'm certain that next year's probably release of The Rescuers will have a few seconds cut in a certain place...
    http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/rescuers.htm
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
    [Edited last by David Lambert on October 23, 2001 at 08:00 PM]

17. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    Sam, I have to point out that you are wrong about all scenes with characters smoking haveing been removed from Saludos Amigos and Melody Time, which makes the fact that they removed the scenes they did all the more ridiculous. And in each movie Jose Carioca the parrot has a cigar in his mouth. In SA, Chapter 9 Aquarela do Brasil not only does Jose smoke a cigar outside the restaurant but Donald drinks something so strong that he spits out flame that light Jose's cigar! In Melody Time, Chapter 7 Blame it on the Samba about 30 seconds in Donald amd Jose are walking down a path looking depressed, Jose smoking the cigar once again! I don't know how the hell Disney could be so stupid as to incosistantly censor the same movie!

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I've got to go along with Jeff on this. I must have seen B&TB eight times during its original theatrical run (along with my then-five-year-old daughter), plus I own the VHS release, and the OST CD (in several languages!) and all of the CD releases of the theatrical productions from around the world.
    I have NEVER heard ANY controversy about this scene. Lefou simply tries to spell Gaston's name and sings, "And his name's G-A-S, G-A-S-T, G-A-S-T-E, G-A-S-T-O, oh, Gaston!". The scene was never changed in the theater that I saw during its original run, nor in the VHS copy.
    I would be interested in hearing more about this.
    Mike