What's new

cut threaded rod for flexi with hacksaw? (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I've got some six-foot long threaded steel rod (5/8") that I want to cut down to around 4 1/2 feet. Is this feasible with a hacksaw, or would I spend too much time on frustration and effort (not to mention money on hacksaw blades).

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Michael,
I've cut through much thicker things that 5/8" threaded rods with a hacksaw so it is possible. It would be much easier with a sawzall but that would cost much more than the hacksaw blades. If you think you would want a sawzall anyway though, here is your chance. :)
Dan Hine

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
i chucked a metal cutting fiber blade into my miter saw and whacked away at my rods. (but ended up having to use a die to clean up the threads)

went fast though, even considering the thread repair.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Its typically just as fast to use a hacksaw as it is to use a power tool and then try to fix the threads.

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
This is the best way to cut a threaded rod with a hacksaw: take 2 proper sized nuts run them down on the rod until you have them on either side of where you want to cut the rod,just far enough apart to slide the blade in between them, this not only serves as a guide but after the cut use the nuts to tap the threads by taking them off with the proper hand tool( socket or the right sized wrench). no sawsall, no taps only hand tools, works every time.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I second Rich's recommendation though I used a circular saw instead and followed my dad's advice of screwing down the thread tap so when undone will repair the threads no problem.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
I've done it, its not too bad. The metal is reasonably soft. The sawing between two nuts tip above is awesome. If you could somehow get a pair of vices close with each gripping a nut then it would be a 20 second job.

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
If you "bevel" or "chamfer" the edge of the all-thread where it is cut, (with a file or sander-just takes a minute)then a nut will go right onto the rod. It should not be necessary to do any "tapping" of the thread ends, either with the nut or a tap/die set.
I have cut alot of all-thread this way, and never had a problem putting the nut on by hand afterwards. Plus, it takes all the rough edges off.

Check your local rental shop and see how much a sawzall is, they usually have 3 hour or even hourly rates for under $10 for most small power tools. I had planned to do that but ended up hack sawing them, if you go that route I strongly suggest buying a good quality blade for it. I did and it cut twice as fast as the cheap blade that came with the hacksaw. I even had to recut them after deciding to delete a shelf, after 8 cuts the teeth look like new.

Rob

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator
take it to a machine shop or even better and FREE take it to a High School with a machine or welding shop and have them cut it there with a band saw or somthin....

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I've used Ison's method with great results but my Rotozip equipped with metal cutting blade works better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks