What's new

I Cut the Cord and Couldn’t Be Happier (1 Viewer)

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Hmm... Sounds like you're in a grandfathered contract [?] but if it's not grandfathered then that $50.00/month increase will happen either way.

Do you have competitive Internet offerings in your area or are you limited to cable?
I'm on Fios. I signed up on the current deal when I moved about three years ago. It does look like they've changed their channel packages in the meantime, which is why the prices are going to jump so much.

I think I have the option to go to Comcast, but I really don't like Comcast, and the prices look about the same anyway.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm on Fios. I signed up on the current deal when I moved about three years ago. It does look like they've changed their channel packages in the meantime, which is why the prices are going to jump so much.

I think I have the option to go to Comcast, but I really don't like Comcast, and the prices look about the same anyway.
What about AT&T? I had Comcast until they predictably tried to rape me at the end of the 2 year contract I'd signed up for. In my area anyway, AT&T currently offers superior service for less and no contracts or data caps.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
What about AT&T? I had Comcast until they predictably tried to rape me at the end of the 2 year contract I'd signed up for. In my area anyway, AT&T currently offers superior service for less and no contracts or data caps.
I just checked, and no luck on AT&T.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
Does youtubetv has fetv,tv land,gac family etc.and does youtubetv also carries gsn and tv land.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think I cut the cable cord from Comcast a year ago or so. That monthly bill (cable TV and internet service) just keep escalating every few months, and when it hit $200+/month, it was time to cut that cord.

I settled on T-Mobile Home Internet service for $50/month (flat monthly cost, no other add-on BS charges, as long as I opted for auto-pay, which dings my credit card monthly).

I also settled on YoutubeTV for my TV channel feed for $55 (there was some promotion through T-Mobile that enabled the $10/month discount, and then got the discount for another year starting last month, include auto-pay for the discount). Their DVR service is pretty nice, and not dependent on cable box's hard drive storage capability for DVR'd shows. I mainly just miss not being able to see Atlanta Braves baseball games on the Bally sports network, but I didn't really miss it, so not a big loss. I still mainly consume ESPN and FS1 sports programming with YouTubeTV, and maybe some reality TV shows. Gave up on network TV shows since too many new shows were getting canceled, so why invest much in the initial season of new shows.

Nowadays, I'm paying $105 for the YouTubeTV channel lineup and T-Mobile home internet.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I think I cut the cable cord from Comcast a year ago or so. That monthly bill (cable TV and internet service) just keep escalating every few months, and when it hit $200+/month, it was time to cut that cord.

I settled on T-Mobile Home Internet service for $50/month (flat monthly cost, no other add-on BS charges, as long as I opted for auto-pay, which dings my credit card monthly).

I also settled on YoutubeTV for my TV channel feed for $55 (there was some promotion through T-Mobile that enabled the $10/month discount, and then got the discount for another year starting last month, include auto-pay for the discount). Their DVR service is pretty nice, and not dependent on cable box's hard drive storage capability for DVR'd shows. I mainly just miss not being able to see Atlanta Braves baseball games on the Bally sports network, but I didn't really miss it, so not a big loss. I still mainly consume ESPN and FS1 sports programming with YouTubeTV, and maybe some reality TV shows. Gave up on network TV shows since too many new shows were getting canceled, so why invest much in the initial season of new shows.

Nowadays, I'm paying $105 for the YouTubeTV channel lineup and T-Mobile home internet.
I cut the cord 6 years ago ! :biggrin: 2 4K Firesticks and 2 HD Indoor antennas. All from Amazon. Today, all you need is Internet ! :D My Internet is $70.00 a month.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We just joined the growing group of cord cutters. Our Comcast annual contract expired a couple of weeks ago, and the price for the March bill went up $33 per month. So, as I do every year, I called their customer retention department to do the annual dance. I was promised a $60 / month price reduction from the representative, and that I would receive a confirmation email within 48 hours. This was new, as in past years I was sent something immediately that I had to electronically sign while on the phone. Anyway, a few days passed and I received nothing, and my account still showed the higher amount.

I called back yesterday and spoke with another person. Comcast had absolutely no record of my previous call or the offer. This person told me there was nothing that could be done for me, as there were no promotions currently available and that I should call back in a couple of weeks to see if any new promotions were offered. That didn't go over well with me, as you might guess. Instead, I canceled the TV and voice services and reduced our Internet speed down to 400Mbps. The price is still too high, but it will take me some time before I can switch to another Internet provider. Wide Open West is probably who I will contact. Comcast, WOW and AT&T all have fiber optic cable running to the utility box at the back of our property.

I compared the different streaming services, and decided that YouTube TV best met our needs. It has all the channels my wife watches. I lose two channels -- the NHL Network and Bally Sports Detroit -- but I can live with that. We also get back TCM.

I did consider Hulu Live TV, but if you are a Disney bundle subscriber (Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu) and pay your monthly bill through Disney, there is no way to sign up for Hulu Live directly. You must instead cancel your Disney+ subscription, wait until your monthly billing cycle completes, and then sign up for everything through Hulu. So Disney and Hulu are not completely integrated yet. They need to fix this. Also, Hulu Live was $5 / month more than YouTube TV.

I also looked at Fubo TV, but with the required regional sports fee in this area it becomes much more expensive -- $20 / month more than YouTube TV.

If I can get one of the Wide Open West offers for Internet that recently expired, by the time I am done I should save about $55 per month over what I used to pay through Comcast, and almost $90 per month over what they wanted to charge us with this price increase and no contract offers.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think I’ve said this before elsewhere but please forgive or ignore me if I’ve said this here too. I used to pay about $200 a month to Spectrum for basic cable with no premium channels at all and 50mbps internet. I lived in an area with no competition and they could charge what they wanted. And then there was the cost of streaming apps on top of that.

I then moved into an area with competition. I now pay Verizon Fios $40 a month for 500mbps internet, which unofficially often clocks in much higher. This is not an introductory or promotional rate - it’s stayed unchanged for nearly 3 years now. In a neighborhood with multiple choices, they can’t charge more and retain customers.

I no longer have any cable service, but since I’m saying roughly $150 a month from when I did, I have no issue subscribing to more streaming apps when needed - even when I have all of the subscriptions I could possibly want activated simultaneously (which is rare, I usually rotate), I am still coming in way below my old rate.

If you don’t have competition in your area, be the squeaky wheel. Complain to your local elected officials, and write to other service providers that aren’t available asking that they come to your town. Show up at town meetings and ask why there isn’t any competition. The status quo only changes when enough people speak out against it.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Anybody know anything about the gov's Affordable Connectivity Program and what sort of discounts it provides?

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I cut my Cable over 6 years ago ! :D Got 2 HDTV indoor antennas, and 2 4K Firesticks all from Amazon. :biggrin: Who needs cable tv. An over priced Dinosaur. Internet / Phone is all you need today. That's how I feel about it.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Several years later no regrets. I find that we rarely use our Amazon DVR. We watch news, NFL and Jeopardy live via antenna when we watch them. All other "network" TV we stream commercial free via Hulu. I'm finding a surprising amount of older TV, shows like Wild, Wild, West that aren't available on streaming and I need to watch over antenna on channels like MeTV.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Several years later no regrets. I find that we rarely use our Amazon DVR. We watch news, NFL and Jeopardy live via antenna when we watch them. All other "network" TV we stream commercial free via Hulu. I'm finding a surprising amount of older TV, shows like Wild, Wild, West that aren't available on streaming and I need to watch over antenna on channels like MeTV.

There is a streaming service called Frndly TV that includes METV, Heroes and Icons and Decades among their channels, with built-in virtual DVR. Fairly cheap.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Anybody know anything about the gov's Affordable Connectivity Program and what sort of discounts it provides?
https://www.fcc.gov/acp

I think I’ve said this before elsewhere but please forgive or ignore me if I’ve said this here too. I used to pay about $200 a month to Spectrum for basic cable with no premium channels at all and 50mbps internet. I lived in an area with no competition and they could charge what they wanted. And then there was the cost of streaming apps on top of that.
That's about where I am now with Spectrum. I need to start looking for alternatives like YouTube TV. We don't have any competition for cable. Might be able to find another provider for Internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks