What's new

I Cut the Cord and Couldn’t Be Happier (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
After thinking about cutting the cord for a few months I decided to finally do it. Most of the shows my family watches are available on networks we can get via antenna at my home according to TVfool.com:
antenna1-jpg.57945

I was mainly interested in the networks: ABC (UHF 38), NBC (UHF 48), CBS (UHF 51), FOX (VHF 13), CW (VHF 11) and PBS (VHF 9). A lot of these carry not only network programming , but additional programming on subchannels. I also wanted independent UHF channels KZJO (UHF 25) for Antenna TV and KFFV (UHF 44) for MeTV, Movies, Heroes & Icons and Decades networks.
Looking at the charts above I faced a few challenges. Most of the channels I wanted were...

Continue reading...

Attachments

• antenna1.JPG
    antenna1.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 1,053
  • rca antenna.jpg
    rca antenna.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 842
  • winegard.jpg
    winegard.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 737
  • winegard_attic.jpg
    winegard_attic.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 761
  • nosignal.jpg
    nosignal.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 736
  • antenna_attic.jpg
    antenna_attic.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 912
  • DB8e.jpg
    DB8e.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 710
  • VHF_add_on.jpg
    VHF_add_on.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 675
  • c5-medium.jpg
    c5-medium.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 637
  • testing.jpg
    testing.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 694
  • final.jpg
    final.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 677
  • amp2.jpg
    amp2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 664
Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We cut the Cable TV cord 3 years ago. Like you, my only regret is not doing it sooner than that.

Our OTA DVR is the Channel Master DVR+, which has been discontinued. It has performed FLAWLESSLY.

We recently dropped Netflix and DirecTV Now. We just weren't watching programming or the cable channels on those too often enough to justify the cost. Their recent price increases were the proverbial straw.

Now, other than OTA TV, we still have Prime and Hulu. I resubscribed to HBO Now for 2 months to watch GOT season 8. Once I've seen the last episode of GOT I'll cancel HBO Now again.

Mark

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm inching in that direction. For those who are "in the know," right now I can stream TCM programming through my Apple TV 4K or Fire Stick 4K because I am a Spectrum cable subscriber who gets TCM on cable. If I dropped my cable service, how would I be able to get TCM any more? That's one channel that I just would not want to be without.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
If I dropped my cable service, how would I be able to get TCM any more? That's one channel that I just would not want to be without.

TV streaming services all have it. My favorite is YouTube TV.

But that and the previous posts in this thread beg the question - if you cancel traditional cable only to subscribe to numerous streaming services, is that really cutting the cord?

Last edited:

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
"Hulu With Live TV has only one plan. You’ll pay $40 for a lineup of 50-70 channels, depending on your area. This includes major sports channels like ESPN and Fox Sports, news networks like Fox News and CNN, entertainment channels like FX and A&E, and, of course, TCM. For the price, it’s a fantastic lineup of channels."

or you can buy a Sling TV $25 package and add a package with TCM and more for another $5

...according to my web research, not experience

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Probably depends on if you have wifi in your house.

Maybe you mean something other than WI-FI since it's an easy thing to set up wifi in pretty much any house with Internet service?
Broadband Internet or High Speed internet service maybe?

Simple to have streaming without wifi at all if you want to run the proper cables to each room for a wired network

I could easily cut the CableTV cord, but I've yet to find a way to get the channels I want and my wife wants cheaper. Once I unbundle my internet/TV/phone My current service price increases $20-30 per month to get the Phone/Internet, the Antenna I already have as an alternative/backup though if I wanted to max the reception I'd have to move the antennas from the attic to roof.

More importantly it appears it would cost roughly $50-80 per month to match the typical channels I (more importantly my wife) want to watch which leaves me paying $20 more per month and as said basically I've just on someone else's cable system at that point and lost most of my TIVO functionality. Or I could save $20-30 monthly by sacrificing about 6-10 channels I would like to have -- too old and mean to go that route.
Yes I know there are workarounds to regain some of that, but like the old day of HTPC, it's taking 3-5X as much work to end up at the same place with more complicated logistics.

More power to those who can do it, but so far I've seen just about zero advantages for the majority of the folks who have done so (or more like -- those who claim to going to do it but haven't gotten around to it yet).

Pretty much like I can tell people how to save 80-90% of their cell phone bill, but you it means doing without a bunch or stuff they consider useful that I find baffling. I'll never in my life understand why families have $200-300/month Cell bills (and complain/brag about it usually), but I don't have to understand since I'm not them. For them I guess it makes sense.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Adam, I did this about 15 years ago. Then a few years later I upgraded my antennas, and actually got the exact same VHF one you have. When I got it, it came with a combiner. I'm also in a fringe area, and still have some trouble picking up VHF channels, but all except for one channel has made changes to broadcast on a UHF channel instead. For example, our local NBC station has a sister channel. NBC broadcasts on VHF, but the sister channel broadcasts on UHF. They added a second transmission of NBC to the sister channel's signal. I also pick up over 50 channels, though a lot of them are of no interest. The UHF antenna I got is pretty much like the one you got, just a different brand. It picks up the signal from 70 miles away like a champ

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
if you cancel traditional cable only to subscribe to numerous streaming services, is that really cutting the cord?

Subscribing to Sling TV and the like isn't cutting the cord, it's just getting the same stuff from a different 'cord'. I gave up on cable more than 25 years ago, as I had a laundry list of problems with it that have only gotten worse as time goes on (mainly the idea of paying for channels that still show commercials.) I've tried out Sling TV for free a few times when it's been offered, and I could never imagine paying for it. Flipping through the channels, it seemed like all of them were showing commercials and in the overnight hours many of them also ran "paid programming" in place of anything that I would actually want to watch.

I've been far happier spending my money on media, things I actually want to see with zero interruptions. Some streaming services have been good also, though I now have issues with a few of them similar to cable- but that's another topic. Most over the air TV is garbage, but at least I'm paying exactly what it's worth for it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm going the opposite direct and adding all the cords. I have cable and streaming and internet. And I'm getting more streaming.

So...yeah...not on track to "cut the cord". :)

When I deal with cable contract renewal the end of this year, I'll be looking at options, including dropping cableTV and going only streaming. That will make me evaluate whether I keep the TiVo DVRs (which I love), or am I now done with DVR completely? It's a tough one because DVR can still have a better experience than streaming.

But going OTA isn't of interest to me. Been there, done that. Loved it. But too much bother for where I'm at now.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
When I deal with cable contract renewal the end of this year, I'll be looking at options, including dropping cableTV and going only streaming. That will make me evaluate whether I keep the TiVo DVRs (which I love), or am I now done with DVR completely? It's a tough one because DVR can still have a better experience than streaming.

Streaming for sure. I only pay $45/month for YouTube TV that includes recording functionality. Most channels have their shows available on demand as well, so usually you don't even need to record.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Streaming for sure. I only pay $45/month for YouTube TV that includes recording functionality. Most channels have their shows available on demand as well, so usually you don't even need to record.
But I've found that locally recorded playback on a DVR can be a better overall experience than streaming. There's no buffering. There's no ads (TiVo auto-skip). And if you miss some dialogue, the skipback function on the TiVo tends to work better than on streaming services.

The benefit to streaming of course, is no risk of Sunday Night Football screwing up the broadcast schedule and causing the TiVo to miss half a show, and other such quirks of chasing recordings of live broadcast against a fallible scheduling system.

What's going to decide it is if Survivor and Amazing Race can be watched in real time via streaming without a cable subscriber. I don't care about live sports, but my wife needs her live "sports"! :)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
But I've found that locally recorded playback on a DVR can be a better overall experience than streaming. There's no buffering. There's no ads (TiVo auto-skip). And if you miss some dialogue, the skipback function on the TiVo tends to work better than on streaming services.

The benefit to streaming of course, is no risk of Sunday Night Football screwing up the broadcast schedule and causing the TiVo to miss half a show, and other such quirks of chasing recordings of live broadcast against a fallible scheduling system.

What's going to decide it is if Survivor and Amazing Race can be watched in real time via streaming without a cable subscriber. I don't care about live sports, but my wife needs her live "sports"! :)

I would look into it a little more, Dave. Even sign up for a free trial.

I've never once experienced buffering with YouTube TV (although I have with Sling and of course your internet may vary - hence the free trial).

If you missed dialog - on an Apple TV you would just click the left side of the touch pad to go back 10secs or say "Siri, what did he say?" and it not only skips back about 15 seconds but puts on captions for that time so you can read it ;)

And of course shows like Survivor and Amazing Race are on in real time. These services we're talking about are exactly like cable.

Channel list can be found here:

https://cordcutting.com/services/youtube-tv/channels/

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks. I'll be looking into this stuff more seriously this Fall. First, I've got a project to run Cat6 cable from my Fios box to my network terminal, to be able to upgrade to Gigabit. The third year of my two years contract (sigh) is over Dec 28, so I'll be looking seriously at my options this Fall or Winter.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
We cut cable years ago and I couldn't be happier. Don't have wired phone service either so no cord there and no "bundles" needed. Pay a small amount for internet service, stream Netflix, have an antenna with solid local channels, and tons of free stuff to watch via Hoopla, YouTube, Vudu and more. Also have 4K Blu-rays and Movies Anywhere.

Why would I ever go back to spending $100+ a month for a ton of horrible channels that show commercials? Answer is I won't. The only commercials I see are when local channels are playing through the antenna.

What I love about streaming services like Netflix, Amazon and all the others is the fact they set a price and you know what it is. There is no surprise. The cable company has a package, then adds fees and equipment, "broadcast fees" (for the channels you can watch for free if you don't watch it through them). It's endless. Then on top of that you have to go haggle with them once a year to get back to a reasonable rate. Netflix, Amazon, Disney +, Criterion streaming, Hulu, etc. is the same price for me, you and everyone else.

For anyone "fearing" they can't survive with out this or that channel, then I guess they should keep cable. Frankly though, I have more options than ever and if I miss a channel, so what. I'll never be able to watch all the good, commercial-free stuff available as it is. And if worse comes to worse, just stream / buy / rent that show or movie.

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
If I weren’t married, I would drop satellite like a hot potato. I only watch one network broadcast show and it ends forever in 4 more episodes. Everything else I routinely watch is on Prime or Netflix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks