What's new

Cut scenes on VHS now being revealed? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I've had a VHS copy of THE WIND AND THE LION for years now. After much diligent search in various places, I finally was able to obtain the LD version from an ebay seller a month or so ago.

There are two scenes in the LD that are new to me. When Raisuli is riding from the "burning boats beach", one of the severed heads is briefly displayed on a wooden frame. Also, when Raisuli shoots the first bad guy on the "blue robed bad guy beach", blood from the wound spashes onto the camera lens.

Did they edit these scenes out for the VHS presentation to appease potentially squeamish viewers? I don't remember seeing these scenes on TV versions either.

Was this a common practice in the early days of video?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Odd, Dennis, but I saw this wonderful film at least twenty times in commercial theaters back in 1975 and '76, and I don't remember these gruesome scenes. This is when the Raisuli is picking off the blue-robed kidnappers on the beach, right? When the Raisuli is on horseback and on top of that hill?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Yes, the blood-on-the-lens scene was from his first shot from atop the hill. Perhaps it was hidden by the magic of P&S.....

I never saw this in the theaters as I was in the hellish first year of a physics PhD program down at UCSD.

"A barbarous man would have killed them all."

"Perhaps the previous owner had nothing pleasant to say." :D An odd thing to say tongue-in-cheek as it were....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks