What's new

Cut-off on Denon 2802? (1 Viewer)

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
I have a Denon 2802, and while looking at the menu, I noticed that my main towers are "cut off at 80HZ." I also checked too make sure my main speakers were set to large. I can set my .1 too either LFE or LFE+Main. I do not know if the LFE option only effects movies or not, but it makes no change on my cut off. I also do not underatand why my reciever is cutting my towers at 80Hz. They are Klipsch RF3II's, and I used to have plenty more bass on my old setup. (2ch) I can notice less low end, even with 2 subs. (for music)

Does anybody know if Running in "Direct" will play my towers full range? I dont want too liston to music unless I know system is playing the way "I" want it too.

PS, I lost my manual

Thanks in advance for any advise.
Hope you understand my question:D

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Can't you just manually reset the front mains to "large"?

I think that LFE+Main option only works if your front mains are set to "large" (with either movies or music).

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Lost your manual? Never fear. Denon's website has an archive for most all discontinued products. Just go to the "Owners" section and choose your product from the dropdown list. Sorry I can't post the link here, yet, because I am a pion (pee-on), who hasn't racked up 15 posts yet.

I skimmed through the manual and saw nothing about the "cutoff" being 80Hz, though that may well be the crossover depending on how you have the speakers configured in the menu. There is a chart in the specifications section of the manual, which shows the adjustability or lack thereof for each mode. For direct and stereo, it looks like the LFE is fully adjustable. Again, depending on the configuration setting.

Be sure to check your tone control and tone defeat settings to be sure they haven't been messed with or set too low.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
LFE is the .1 in the material, so basically it is ONLY present on DVD movies and multichannel music (including hires).

Your question isn't clear. Are you saying you want to play music with the mains large or small and with or without the sub? What exactly is the issue?

By the way, you can't list your gear in your signature here.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name

All my speakers are set to Large. However, when I press "enter" on "Mains" in the speaker config. Screen, It gives me the 3 options of 80HZ, 100HZ, or 120HZ cut off. Below that is the LFE option. (same screen)

So yes, I understand that LFE is only in multichannel, (DVD, SACD). But the main problem I am having is that I do not see an option to allow me NOT to cut the towers off. I do not want them cut off at 80HZ. They are set to large, so it shouldnt even give me the option, as far as I know.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Ah, but there is an option to NOT cut the towers off. It's called "Sub OFF" or "No Sub." If there are situations where you want all the bass to be sent to your towers, you should not be using the sub in those situations. One of the main reasons to own a sub, however, is to relieve your amp from the strain of having to reproduce LFE through the mains - especially on movie soundtracks. You really don't want the sub and the mains overlapping on LFE, so in situations where you want all the LFE to be sent to your mains, set the sub to "OFF."

When I owned the 3805, I wanted my mains to do all the bass reproduction on 2-channel music, so I hit a macro on my remote that switched the reciever to Pure Direct mode and switched the sub setting to "no sub" when I wanted to listen to CDs or LPs. It worked nicely, but the macro actually consisted of about 10 or so separate commands.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

If you have them set to "Mains + LFE" then the option will still be available and it will not affect the mains at all. I'd guess if you set LFE to LFE only, that option will no longer be available.

One of the things I like about my Marantz 8300 is when using Source Direct it bypasses bass management, setting all speakers to large. The side benefit of this is, when listening in 2ch, the sub is essentially turned off because there are only 2 channels of sound present. I would think Pure Direct would do something similar, but I guess not.

Is this via analog or digital? Are you using the Ext Input? A "cheater" way to do this would be to use the Ext In with just stereo RCA - this will eliminate the sub for certain sort of the same way Soruce Direct does on my receiver because there will only be the 2 channels present (with the source set to full range also).

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Matthew: could that cutoff option actually be for meant for the LFE channel? IIRC Dolby (and DTS) licensing requirements state that if desired, the user be able to set up his system in the way you are asking about here.

Also, unless the subwoofer and the front mains are completely out of phase with each other (phase is not simply a yes/no or on/off type of situation), there is a good chance they *can* successfully reproduce the same bass signals at the same time if you really want some extra bass kick. Though as mentioned by an expert here recently, if displayed on a frequency response graph, the result may be rather "lumpy", but sometimes such lumpiness can give the sound extra character - only you can decide if you like that effect.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Thanks for all the advise everyone. I went "no sub" and found my towers had more low end. However, it was not much. So in the end I set my smaller sub too be crossed over a bit higher, hopeing it will re-enforce some of thge low end. (without sounding boomy)

Both my subs are along the front wall with my towers. I find that this set-up eliminates the "I have a sub playing"feeling, and still have GREAT low end. I want to feel the bass, but I dont my my pant leg moving from the air movement.

And yes, even in DIRECT, the sub still plays, and I belive the towers are still cut off at 80ZH. Oh well, still sounds great so I must live with it. And its true- 2 subs does take a load off my reciver.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks