What's new

Cut down your fan noise... (1 Viewer)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
This may be old news or some of you may have done it already but I gave something a try today. I got to thinking about how a flared port is so much quieter than a regular port due to the smooth radius. So why not add a flare to my cooling fan to cut down some noise. What I'm using is a 4" brushless case fan from Radio Shack. By it's self it is very annoying it makes quite a bit of noise. So out to the garage I went. All I did was cut two pieces of 6"by6"by3/4" MDF,than cut a circle in them to just slightly larger than the diameter of the inside of the fan case. Than I used a 3/4" round over bit to flare both pieces of wood. After that was done I took them & put one on each side of the fan & screwed it together. I couldn't believe the difference it makes compared to before now you can hardly hear the thing at all,I bet it cut the noise down to almost half what it was. Before I could very easily hear the fan across the room in my seat about 12 feet away, now you don't hear it until your about 3to4 feet from it.
Just thought I'd share it with some of you,if you never given it a try it's very well worth the little time it takes to do it.;)

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Great idea Joe! Way to incorporate other ideas. If you want to experiment a little more even, try drilling little dimples (like on golf balls) on your flared ports and see what happens.
(see my reply to "Is this a viable port flare alternative" post for explanation of concepts)

Wayne, I like your font. How do you can change it? :b

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Doesn't the horn amplify the sound from the fans?

The noise you heard before, was it "wind turbulence" noise, or was it electrical?

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Chris it was mostly wind noise.The fan dose have some mechanical noise, but the blades would make a pretty noticeable humming sound. When I put the flared ends on it it got rid of most of the noise or (turbulence) from the blades. As for amplifying the sound if you add anything to it like a tube the sound dose increase,but this piece is only 3/4" thick & is nothing more than a smoother radius for the air to enter & exit from.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Clay,I would love to post some pictures,but I don't have a digital camera or anything like that to do it with.
There are several things I would love to be able to put up but cant because of this.:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks