CustomHT DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary_R, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Gary_R

Gary_R Agent

I'm interested in the Custom DVD home theater entry disc (www.customHT.com) that provides a visual and audio representation of your theater to guests. I have a CD progrm that's similar, but I'm wondering if any forum mebers have tried the DVD.
    -- Gary

2. Gregg Laiben

Gregg Laiben Auditioning

Yes, I ordered one and absolutely LOVE it. The audience is totally bowled over when they see my theatre logo come up on the big screen. The DVD has a 10 minute countdown to showtime with great graphics and sound, including a series of trivia movie questions. There's even an announcement to turn off pagers & cellphones and an ad for the concession stand.
    The designer (Don Holland) was great to work with and helped me make sure the logo fit properly. You can't beat the price - i've seen folks selling these for 5-7 times the price!
    A very satisfied customer...gregg
    http://www.laiben.com/ht

3. andrew

andrew Auditioning

I love mine too, it really grabs the attention of people who see it

Andrew

4. Bill Fletcher

Bill Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like a great idea. How much did it cost you Gregg?

Bill

5. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

I have a question. Is it a little troublesome to have to switch the dvd and then insert the movie?

6. Gregg Laiben

Gregg Laiben Auditioning

It's been a few months since I ordered it, but I recall it was in the $80 range.

Swapping discs is a bit of a slowdown, but folks are usually chatting a bit after the trivia contest. The time changing discs is negligible and usually not noticed.

...gregg

7. Steve Hauben

Steve Hauben Stunt Coordinator

and if you have a multi-disc player you've got it made.

8. Ross Gerin

Ross Gerin Auditioning

Does anyone know of some simple software to generate basic animation for a similar style of "pre-movie presentation"? eg. rotating, scrolling text. The target medium would be CDRom cos, hey, who has a DVD burner?!

Obviously the final product would be not be as complicated nor polished as the styles listed here but it would be fun none-the-less. It's going to be interesting to see what tools come on the market when DVD authoring kicks off (and burners are affordable).

BTW...looks like a great service and cheap with the benefits of 5.1 sound.[/size]

9. Ross Gerin

Ross Gerin Auditioning

whoops...sorry about the font size! The preview doesn't show WYSIWYG[​IMG][/size]

10. Gary_R

Gary_R Agent

I think a DIY job, on a large, front projection screen, would look like just that: a simple animation with jaggies galore. I see what work many put into similar animations and I, for one, don't think I could ever even approximate what they've done. The asking price for the professional version is around $90, reasonable in the circumstances.

-- Gary

11. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

So you can have your theater logo put into the DVD also? Cool! I thought it was only the theater name, not the logo too. I'll have to keep this in mind!

12. Bob Hill

Bob Hill Stunt Coordinator

On the DIY route. The software you would need to create an animated video would be considerably more than the purchase price of the custom DVD. I use Lightwave at work and it runs just shy of $3000.