What's new

Custom Twilight Zone Covers (2 Viewers)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
My complete collection of The Twilight Zone was looking a little haphazard. About half of them were the original releases that came in the regular size cases. Others were in the thinpak cases that came with the big "Collection" sets. And the first 5 from the 40th anniversary gift set came in CD Jewel cases.

At first I was going to change them all to thinpak cases, but I couldn't get ahold og the original covers for volumes 1 - 5.

So then I decided to try and make my own big case. This was partially inspired by the excellent cases that Jeff_HR made awhile back. Of course, anyone familiar with my Star Trek cases knows I am a fan of big spine shots. So being more or less a one trick pony, here's what I did...

Here's a look at the whole collection's spines...

Click here for bigger view

The first 3 volumes would be six disc cases, the next 3 would be 7 disc cases. The final case would either be a six or a seven, that would include Volumes 40 -43 plus the two "Treasures of" collections (which for the sake of the spine, I am calling Volumes 44 and 45) and if you have it, The American Masters Documentary on Serling that came with the 4oth Anniversary Gift Set.

Here are the fronts of all 7 editions. To see them bigger including the spines and the back covers (which are collages from the episodes) click on the links below the covers.

Bigger version including back cover

Bigger Version

Bigger Version

Bigger Version

Bigger Version

Bigger Version

Bigger Version

I admit, the quality of some of the pictures leaves a little to be desired. I started taking screen caps from the DVDs, but that was incredibly labor intensive. So, many of the pictures I took from the web, and did what I could with them. I have them all printed up and sitting on my shelf, and overall, I think they look pretty good, though they may not be up to DVD Cover Art's high standards. I'll have to see if they accept them or not. But for anyone interested, I should have the Hi-res versions up on my site in a day or so.

Ric

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Ric, those are breathtaking. For a Zone fanatic like me, seeing those made my day. ;) I have the entire collection (original standard cases), and they take up an entire shelf! I've always kinda wanted to transfer them to different cases and make some room... you've just made it my new mission. Thanks!

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Ric... they look great. I was a procrastinator and held off to buy the 5 series collection. Very nice.

Herb.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys.

Herb,
Sometimes procrastination pays off. You got them for a lot cheaper than I did... and all your sets look like they go together!

Craig,
I have been ordering my cases from US Plastic Corp lately. They are less expensive than over at InetDVD.

I have just started working on the inserts. I am going for a very minimalist approach. They should be on the site in a few days. Perhaps some day I'll get enough ambition to make a booklet, listing all the episodes in chronalogical order, descriptions, writers, directors, broadcast dates, and what volume they are located on. But that's gonna be a lot of work.

The covers are available for download at my site right now!

Ric

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Hey Ric, I just downloaded the hi-res covers. Excellent! One more question.... what kind of paper do you use for printing these? In the past I've used HP glossy photo paper, but it always seems too thick... Is there something thinner (more like factory DVD covers) that you can recommend?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I wish I could find something glossy and thinner (plus legal size), but I haven't yet. What I have been doing is cutting Epson 13x19 Glossy Photo Paper into two 8.5x13 sheets. Although, I haven't done it for these yet. I just used some high quality legal paper I had. I didn't want to waste the good sheets trying to get the spines to line up correctly.

Kodak used to make a good glossy legal size photo paper, but they discontinued it. I've written to them several times, but so far they have shown no interest in bringing it back.

Speaking of thinner sheets, I wish I could find a two sided thin glossy that would work well in making insert type booklets. I hear it can get quite expensive when having a professional printing service do it.

Ric

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

Outer Limits only had two seasons, right? The first is four discs the second three... I already like the package design. I suppose I could lump them altogether in a 7 disc case, but I'm sure I would just end up copying the packaging that already exists.

Ric

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Ric: Have you ever thought about working with Link Removed on boxes for complete sets? I think your artwork and his metalworking could have benefits for both of you. This set in particular is crying out for a box to hold all the cases.

To those who have the complete series: What's the best way to get all the episodes? There was a thread here a ways back, but I can't find it.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Interesting idea, Jesse. They might look nice on silver cases with black ink (or is that black cases with siver ink?) I'm not sure how it would work though. Would they all go in one big case? (seems overwhelming) Plus I would loose the backs and fronts of the seven volumes. Or keep it with the seven cases and try to spread the spine shot across them? Would the six and seven disc alphas go in those metal cases? Or go back to the regular DVD cases or the thin paks? Seems like there would be a lot to figure out.

I'll have to send him an email to see if he's interested in such a project before I get too bogged down in the details.

Ric

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Wonderful work Ric! With your reputation I'm sure the cover will be very popular. If I had not made my own I'd use yours in a second. I've already downloaded your LOTR cover.

P.S. I sure hope you do covers for the "Voyager" boxes coming next year!

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
To those who have the complete series: What's the best way to get all the episodes? There was a thread here a ways back, but I can't find it.
Image released all the episodes in a series of five 9-volume collections. The five collections together collect all the episodes plus unaired versions of a couple episodes (including the original Pilot) as well as some extra features (original TZ pitch & an interview w/Serling by Mike Wallace, if I remember right). You can score each of the five sets for about $75 each (or less on e-bay).

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Dane. So I guess when I get these all, I can just put them in the cases Ric suggests and slap these covers on?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Thanks, Dane. So I guess when I get these all, I can just put them in the cases Ric suggests and slap these covers on?
Well, I think Ric made these covers because he had tons of the single volume releases and had some from the 40th Anniversary Gift Set (in which the DVDs came in CD jewel cases) and some of another type, so he wanted to combine all the cases to make one uniform set.

With the 5 collections, all the discs are in slimline cases housed in a box and don't take up too much space. But the boxes ARE pretty flimsy and tear easily (trust me), so I'm even considering buying some 6-disc cases and putting Ric's awesome work to use.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the covers. They look great lined up on my shelf right next to the nearby X-Files custom covers. I finally received vols 41-43 from Deep Discount DVD to complete the set of Panasonic/Image DVDs and was wondering where 44-45 were only to see they are just treasures disks I already had?

Any chance of releasing the last one with a "40-46" version for the Bio DVD from the original 6 DVD boxset?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Joe,

I really don't have plans to do an alternate cover for the last volume. While I don't have a problem calling the two "Treasures ot the TZ" volumes 44 and 45, I think it would be a stretch to call the TZ documentary Volume 46.

However, by a happy coincidence, you may notice that the tagline for that volume, "Submitted for your approval" is also the title of the Serling documentary (and has a pic of RS on the front), so that's where I have been keeping mine.

One of these days I still plan on doing inserts for the volumes. It's just all that typing bores the hell outta me!

Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks