Custom "Twilight Zone" Cover Art

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff_HR, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is a look at some custom work I did for the re-released "Twilight Zone" DVDs. The series of nine cases(quintuple size) feature the panoramic spine image shown above. The other image is an example of the first case cover. The work that Mr Easton did on the "Star Trek: TNG" series of covers inspired this effort, plus I don't care for the mini keepcases that the series comes in.

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I do like how the spines all add up to a large display, but I don't like all the "image" logos everywhere. Just my two cents.

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

It would look better if 'The Twilight Zone' on the spine filled up the entire spine (no white part) and text/Studio logos were changed to white.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Pet Peeve of mine: the "1.33:1" (in the specs on the back) is inside a box that, um, looks like a WIDE screen. Universal does that a lot, and it's irritating. The box you use is, in fact, approx. 2.4:1; this is much more appropriate for Ben Hur! [​IMG] Recommend you change it to a 4x3 box.
    Right above that, you may want to center the show listings for #'s 4 & 5, so as to cut down on the empty space to the right of #5's listing.

5. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Looks pretty good, Jeff. I'm in agreement with the others though in not being crazy about all the white. It takes away a bit from the spine shot. I also am not sure how the gold lettering will show up against the white background. If you already have the cases I would print up low quality mock-ups for the spines to make sure everything lines up correctly. I never tried a spine shot with lettering going all the way across... you may have to do a little adjusting.

Ric

6. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

If you don't agree with changing the "Aspect Ratio" of the box surrounding the "1.33:1" text, then may I offer an alternate suggestion: How about just eliminating the box? The text, at its font size, stands out well enough on its own. It doesn't really need a box surrounding that text.

8. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

9. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I've finished the "Twilight Zone" cover set. It is available at this SITE. Soon I'll begin work on a Chapter Index for each set. This was hard work & I can really appreciate what effort that Ric Easton puts in on the Star Trek covers.

10. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Jeff,

Once I get the rest of these, (I will probably order volumes 3,4 and 5 of the box set and end up with a few repeats from the original releases) I will be glad to use your covers. It will be nice to have them all in the same kind of case, looking nice and uniform!

'course I may do a teeney bit of tweaking! Y'know how I cannot leave well enough alone!

Ric

11. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

[​IMG] I know! Neither can I. :wink:

12. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

In addition to the fine cover that Ric Easton has just finished, I've had my own version of the "Twilight Zone" cover available at www.dvdgreek.com for many months. Below is an example:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]