Custom rack mount kits?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Philip Hamm, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Hello.

Where would you HTF faithful recommend that I go for custom rack mount kits for stuff when the manufacturer does not provide one? The items I need to mount are my Sherwood Newcastle AV-M9080 and a Harman/Kardon HK2000 I'm planning on buying.

Thanks!

2. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

What type of rack do you have? Middle Atlantic sells custom rackshelves for just about anything, though they are pricey. You can run a search for your equipment on their web site. www.middleatlantic.com

For my rack (Middle Atlantic Slim-5), I just went with the universal shelves in the right sizes for my equipment--you don't get the custom face-plate fit that way, but it still looks really good and is a whole lot less $$$$.

3. Darren{Moo}

Darren{Moo} Extra

Middle Atlantic will manufacture a custom faceplate for any component you have, whether its in their database or not. If they don't already have it you just submit a set of measurements on a form available on their website. They are admittedly pricey, but the quality is outstanding.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

It's going to be a standard 19" rack, industrial type, in the room behind my home theater room. The amps, my rack mount Powermax surge suppressor, and my DD decoder are going to be in it, since I don't need to access them from the room.

I'm going to have another 19" decorative rack built into the wall of the movie room, but I already know I'm getting rack shelves for that one.

My only concern is the Sherwood, it weighs 72 lbs so the rack shelf is going to have to be seriously heavy duty.

Has anyone tried pro rack shelves like you'd find at Musician's friend? Aesthetics are not a concern.

5. anth_c

anth_c Stunt Coordinator

I've also got a Slim 5 rack from middle atlantic. For some of my non-rack mount gear I use the special Slim 5/AXS shelves (part #SH-5A).

[​IMG]

From their website:
    "Designed expressly for use in our Slim 5 and AXS equipment racks (AXS in steel rack, AXS millwork), the SH-5A rackshelf features full-depth front and rear rackmounting, providing a secure shelf for non-rackmount components. A truly unique design, this “zero-space” shelf actually mounts to the sides of the rackrail (not the threaded face) providing more useable shelf area. Two handy “L” brackets are included to help position equipment. Constructed from 16-gauge steel, finished in a durable black powder coat."

Since they bolt to the front and the back of the rack, they can support a bunch of weight. I am in the process of machining cut-outs in blank panels to match the opening of my components.