What's new

Custom power cords (1 Viewer)

Felix_F

Stunt Coordinator

I finally got sick of having too many power cords that were all too long for both of my systems, so I made some to size. I also figured that I might as well make them look kinda cool while I was at it. I used various 12awg wiring, and Pass&Seymour AC receptacles and Schurter IEC's. The black cable, however, is terminated with Marinco plugs on both ends.

Felix

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
Very nice! What's up with the one in the back it looks like a telephone pole! You sure that one is 12 awg?
Notice any difference with these cables? Or was purely for looks and for proper lengths?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The cord in the back looks to be EXTREMELY thick... what exact cabling is it made of? Also what are the apx costs of these?

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i when to HD and built a few extension cords that I use using 12-3 at 89 cents a foot it wasn't bad, but what got me was the 10 bucks a pop (or so) for the terminals. i think i went with a pair of Marinco and another brand that were more expensive, and i can't tell a difference between them, and i mostly use them in the shop now instead of in the dorm powering my stuff.

Felix_F

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the kind words. I bought most of the parts at our local version of Home Depot, PE, and a local electrical distributor. The plugs and the Schurter IEC's run about $10 a pop and the Marinco IEC is almost twice as expensive.

The very thick cord is indeed 12awg. It's a braid consisting of three separately shielded 12awg cables, and then covered with a thin PVC tube for a smooth appearance. Due to the stiffness of that cord, I positioned the AC plug and the IEC at angles designed to fit the its designated component (ie. a Samson S1500 driving the sub) with minimal manipulation.

Even though I have a main rig that can resolve the proverbial hair on a gnat's @ss - Kuzma Stabi/ Stogi Reference/ Transfiguration Spirit/ Ayre K-1, Aragon 8008BB/ Dunavy SC-V - I've yet to hear discernable differences between AC cables having auditioned quite a few of them. I built these cords, because I wanted nice looking, heavy gauge cables that were correctly sized for my needs. I'm having so much fun making these things, that I'm seriously considering offering some cords for sale. I just can't help thinking that there are other folks like me who'd like to have some nice AC cables without having to take out a second mortgage in order to afford them.

Felix

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Those are sweet Felix!

I'd like to make a few of these for my Parasound amps, actuually I was thinking some 2 wire 10 awg cables would be perfect.

Does Marinco make any 2 pronged versions?

PaulT

Supporting Actor

It doesn't matter as you just wire up the Hot and Neutral on the plug and IEC. The unconnected ground lug will help the plug stay in the wall :)

Sounds like you have the Parasound hummmmm same as me.

Nice cords Felix. What would your preference be for the IEC, the Marinco or whatever Schurter or clone those others are?
I guess some gear might have a problem with the size of the Marinco outer shell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks