What's new

Custom PC case-grounding (1 Viewer)

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
I just finished having my case powder coated and tomorrow I will be filling it with parts. I just thought of one thing though how are cases grounded? Do they have to be grounded or does the power supply take care of that? Its an all aluminum case painted texture black. It looks like it will work like a normal case but I'm just a little worried.

thanks

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
You should be okay. You're having the computer case powder coated on the outside, not the inside. The entire case is grounded as soon as the power supply is secured inside the computer, touching all that bare aluminium.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
The screw holes were masked so there is no paint in those, also the standoffs for the mobo holes were masked. Pictures of the build should be up by the end of the weekend. Thanks to everyone that helped pick parts and gave advise.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
Ok, my momma gamecube shaped computer is built, there are only a couple more visual details to be finished but it runs. I have one more question. I was able to load Windows XP onto the SATA drive and get it to boot from that drive. I would like to know why it won't boot when I connect an IDE drive. It seems to want to boot from the IDE drive when its connected but when its not connected it boots from the SATA drive. I think I disabled any IDE boot sequences in the BIOS, maybe I'll check again. Any suggestions? The IDE has important information that I would like to have access to.

thanks

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Probably the jumper settings. The IDE is probably jumpered for a single-disc system or as the master in a two-drive system and this is what the PC is seeing. Check the docs for each drive (and for the motherboard or drive controller card, depending on where the ribbon cables for the drive chains terminate) and figure out which combination of jumper settings, drive channels and cable positions will get you the result you want.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks