Custom Intro for my HT

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by David Laplante, Mar 3, 2005.

1. David Laplante

Hi,

I just found out, reading some posts, that some people have custom introduction videos for their HT.

I was wondering how does it all work ? I mean, do you have to put in the DVD of your intro and then switch for the movie's DVD ?

If that is the case, i am not very interested but I imagine that this is not the case... Anyone with a custom intro care to share how he makes it all work seamlessly ?

thanks,

Dave

2. DonRC

DonRC Stunt Coordinator

I don't have one (yet), but I can tell you how I'm planning on implementing mine.

I'm simply going to use a separate DVD player, since DVD players are cheap. I'll play the intro on my "spare" DVD player, then simply switch sources (timed macro from my universal remote, probably) to start the movie.

At least, that's the plan... [​IMG]

3. Evan M

Evan M Second Unit

When Dual Layer DVD media gets cheaper, you can always re-author all your DVDs to include your intro at the beginning, along with the movie, on one disc. May still mean ditching some of the special features, but you'd still have the real DVD sitting around somewhere if you wanted to view all that. Good way to protect your collection too, so you don't have to worry about the discs getting damaged/scratched/dirty.

4. David Laplante

Good point there Evan. I guess someone could also have a multiple disc DVD player to implement Don's solution.

5. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

When you say intro, do you mean an actual moving picture, like a computer generated mini picture? or just a background with or without sound? cause if its just a background (without sound), some dvd players will capture a frame from a dvd and use it as a background, my Toshiba does that. But I wouldnt consider that an intro.

6. DonRC

DonRC Stunt Coordinator

You could do that. (In fact, I have a multiple disc DVD player, so I could do it pretty easily. However, it's not quite as seamless as a multiple DVD player solution, since you can have the movie already cued up if it's on another player, whereas if you use a disc changer you are stuck looking at the DVD player logo while you change discs and spool up the new one. In many cases you'll also be stuck with waiting for the FBI warning and various previews to play, followed by the menu screen.

There's nothing wrong with all that - but to me it interrupts the "theater-like" experience that a custom intro gives you.

{edit: Since a cheapo second DVD player can be had for just about nothing, that seems like a better solution to me. If the cost of a second DVD player were significant, I would promptly decide that it wasn't that much of an interrruption. [​IMG]}

7. David Laplante

Jean,

I mean a mini movie generated from a computer.

Don, You're right about the multiple dvd solution not being seamless. Guess I'll forget about it for now. Buying a second dvd player just to display an intro movie which, most of the time, only me and my girlfriend will see seams a little overkill for me

Thanks for sharing your thoughts though !

Dave

8. DonRC

DonRC Stunt Coordinator

Are you talking about making the intro, or buying a pre-made one? If you keep your eyes open for it, you could get a cheap DVD player that would do what you need it to for quite a bit less than what you would pay for the intro. (I got mine for $19.)

9. David Laplante

Actually I was thinking of making my own... I have a bit of talent in computer generated grafix (far from being an expert).

I didn't think you could get a DVD player for this cheap. Being in Canada might make that 19$ convert to 40$ though. I'll keep my eyes open, if I find a cheap one, it might be worth a 20$

10. DonRC

DonRC Stunt Coordinator