What's new

Custom Inserts: Silly Symphonies (1 Viewer)

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Greetings fellow HTFers!
Back in June, I posted a set of custom inserts that I made for the Walt Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse in Living Color DVD set (click for thread). I decided to make these for myself because I thought the collection was great, but lacked a little context and background information.
After I shared the inserts with others here in the HTF, there were "requests" for a custom insert set for Silly Symphonies (yeah, I'm looking right at you Enrique!). However, I got married in February, and have been quite busy adjusting to life in general, so it wasn't really a priority.
Until now. :)
I present to you a custom set of inserts for the Walt Disney Treasures: Silly Symphonies DVD set. Just like the other set I did, these were composed in Microsoft Excel, borrowing the helpful review information from Disney fan site LaughingPlace.com. I also gathered some other content from sources around the Web. The result is inserts that contain more detail than the Mickey Mouse set I did.
The Silly Symphonies set offered unique challenges. As many of you already know, it's not chronological, there is a mix of color/black & white films, and many shorts and introductions are only accessible via Easter Eggs thrown all over the set. While it's nice to have, I have to think that whoever authored this set got a little carried away with making it a treasure hunt! :) In any case, I've tried to bring order to the chaos through clear information and instructions.
I converted each insert into PDF format so that they print correctly on your printer. All are contained in the zipped file that is linked below. Your feedback, corrections, suggestions, and whatever are welcomed. Thanks for your interest in the inserts.
Have a great day! :D
Click for listing of available inserts

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
GREAT!!
:emoji_thumbsup:
YES!!
:D
Happy Days!
:star:
Steven,
email me, I can lend you something that might help
the MM B&W years insert.
Chicagoland has great people!
(I just did my first marathon at the 25th Chicago)
Cheers,
Enrique

MikeDE

Second Unit
My WebTV won't open the zipped file. Do you have them displayed some place online where they can just be printed straight out?

Mike

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Excellent!!! Feel free to continue your work on the next series. (hint hint) Great work! Thank you.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Once again, Steven you have done a great job. All I need to do now is order this one as well.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Definetly buy this set if you can still find it... it's good stuff.
Thankfully, on Wave 2, they added a nice "chronological order" feature which would have been nice for the Silly Symphonies set, but we'll make do :)

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Thanks for all your hard work, Steven. I finally tracked down this set today at my local Suncoast, and I'm thrilled so far with the shorts that I've watched. Most of them I'm seeing for the first time.

Browsing those "other" DVD forums, it's frustrating to see that many people are buying these sets (Silly Symphonies and Mickey Mouse in Living Color) when they find 'em just to sell on Ebay in the future. I'm thankful that I was able to track down a set for myself and pay the normal ~$35 for it, but I have to feel sorry for the poor folks out there who will be forced to pay exuberant amounts to enjoy these shorts. Sure, the material on these sets is worth many times more than what most of us are paying, but it's still a shame that certain people have to take advantage of their limited production run.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Those inserts definitely look cool, thanks.

Browsing those "other" DVD forums, it's frustrating to see that many people are buying these sets (Silly Symphonies and Mickey Mouse in Living Color) when they find 'em just to sell on Ebay in the future. I'm thankful that I was able to track down a set for myself and pay the normal ~$35 for it, but I have to feel sorry for the poor folks out there who will be forced to pay exuberant amounts to enjoy these shorts.
Luckily I managed to get the Silly Symphonies for Christmas, but I'm out of luck on the MM in Living Color. I emailed Disney, which then gave me a phone number to call and asked about them. They said print run is gone, we're out of luck in getting them first hand. I had been hoping that they might release them as non-collectible DVDs. Maybe ten years from now...

Neil

Christopher_H

Stunt Coordinator
Once again Steven I would like to thank you for all your efforts. It's too bad Disney didn't put all this information with the sets in the first place.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Browsing those "other" DVD forums, it's frustrating to see that many people are buying these sets (Silly Symphonies and Mickey Mouse in Living Color) when they find 'em just to sell on Ebay in the future. I'm thankful that I was able to track down a set for myself and pay the normal ~$35 for it, but I have to feel sorry for the poor folks out there who will be forced to pay exuberant amounts to enjoy these shorts.
I too have noticed many many threads here and elsewhere regarding these DVDs. And each time I wonder, what were these people expecting when the sets were originally announced and released? They were limited from the get-go, and I made sure to preorder them. I bought them all (the animated ones) as soon as they became available, for about $26 each, I think. Now when I read threads where people say "Oh well I finally gave up trying to locate some copies and dropped $75 on eBay", I feel very sorry for them. Where were they when these things were released? Baffling.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Some people might not have been into DVD when they were first released. Others might not have known how good they were going to be. Even though they were limited there were still a large number of them out there and some people might have thought there wouldn't be a shortage (and there wasn't in many areas for quite some time). The second series of DVDs seemed to disappear from some online dealers a lot quicker than the first one did.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks