1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Inserts: Silly Symphonies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven Wesley, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    Greetings fellow HTFers!
    Back in June, I posted a set of custom inserts that I made for the Walt Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse in Living Color DVD set (click for thread). I decided to make these for myself because I thought the collection was great, but lacked a little context and background information.
    After I shared the inserts with others here in the HTF, there were "requests" for a custom insert set for Silly Symphonies (yeah, I'm looking right at you Enrique!). However, I got married in February, and have been quite busy adjusting to life in general, so it wasn't really a priority.
    Until now. [​IMG]
    I present to you a custom set of inserts for the Walt Disney Treasures: Silly Symphonies DVD set. Just like the other set I did, these were composed in Microsoft Excel, borrowing the helpful review information from Disney fan site LaughingPlace.com. I also gathered some other content from sources around the Web. The result is inserts that contain more detail than the Mickey Mouse set I did.
    The Silly Symphonies set offered unique challenges. As many of you already know, it's not chronological, there is a mix of color/black & white films, and many shorts and introductions are only accessible via Easter Eggs thrown all over the set. While it's nice to have, I have to think that whoever authored this set got a little carried away with making it a treasure hunt! [​IMG] In any case, I've tried to bring order to the chaos through clear information and instructions.
    I converted each insert into PDF format so that they print correctly on your printer. All are contained in the zipped file that is linked below. Your feedback, corrections, suggestions, and whatever are welcomed. Thanks for your interest in the inserts.
    Have a great day! [​IMG]
    Click for listing of available inserts

2. Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro Supporting Actor

GREAT!!
    [​IMG]
    YES!!
    [​IMG]
    Happy Days!
    [​IMG]
    Steven,
    email me, I can lend you something that might help
    the MM B&W years insert.
    Chicagoland has great people!
    (I just did my first marathon at the 25th Chicago)
    Cheers,
    Enrique

3. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    You're a star Steven! Many thanks - I've been waiting for this. Very much appreciate the work you've done.

4. MikeDE

MikeDE Stunt Coordinator

My WebTV won't open the zipped file. Do you have them displayed some place online where they can just be printed straight out?

Mike

5. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Excellent!!! Feel free to continue your work on the next series. (hint hint) Great work! Thank you.

6. Steven Wesley

Steve

7. Jeff Howard

Jeff Howard Agent

Thanks!!!

8. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    Thanks so much Steven for your additional work on inserts. I plan on buying this dvd set and this will be a great information tool.

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Once again, Steven you have done a great job. All I need to do now is order this one as well.
    [​IMG]

10. Steven Wesley

Steve
    Definetly buy this set if you can still find it... it's good stuff.
    Thankfully, on Wave 2, they added a nice "chronological order" feature which would have been nice for the Silly Symphonies set, but we'll make do [​IMG]

11. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Thanks!

Chris S

12. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all your hard work, Steven. I finally tracked down this set today at my local Suncoast, and I'm thrilled so far with the shorts that I've watched. Most of them I'm seeing for the first time.

Browsing those "other" DVD forums, it's frustrating to see that many people are buying these sets (Silly Symphonies and Mickey Mouse in Living Color) when they find 'em just to sell on Ebay in the future. I'm thankful that I was able to track down a set for myself and pay the normal ~$35 for it, but I have to feel sorry for the poor folks out there who will be forced to pay exuberant amounts to enjoy these shorts. Sure, the material on these sets is worth many times more than what most of us are paying, but it's still a shame that certain people have to take advantage of their limited production run.

13. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Those inserts definitely look cool, thanks.

14. Christopher_H

Christopher_H Stunt Coordinator

Once again Steven I would like to thank you for all your efforts. It's too bad Disney didn't put all this information with the sets in the first place.

15. Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro Supporting Actor

Any work done yet on the Mickey B&W years?
    (hint, hint)

16. PaulP

PaulP Producer

17. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Some people might not have been into DVD when they were first released. Others might not have known how good they were going to be. Even though they were limited there were still a large number of them out there and some people might have thought there wouldn't be a shortage (and there wasn't in many areas for quite some time). The second series of DVDs seemed to disappear from some online dealers a lot quicker than the first one did.

Neil

18. PaulP

PaulP Producer

19. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Insider
    Insider

Nicely done, Steven! Very handy!