Custom gang box advice

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dan_Morez, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Dan_Morez

Dan_Morez Agent

I'm in the process of wiring my theater room and am looking for some sort of custom gang box that will house electical, video, phone line, ect. I'd like to put this in the platform for the rear seating area....Does anyone know where to find something like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan M.

2. Greg_L_C

Greg_L_C Stunt Coordinator

Try leviton. They have a whole line of stuff you might want to look at. Ive used there media panels. Lots smarter people here than me though.

Greg

3. Gene Severn

Gene Severn Stunt Coordinator

Be very careful here. The National Electrical Code (NEC) prohibits mixing low voltage (audio, video, data) with high voltage (110 VAC) in the same enclosure without a protective barrier. Be safe...use 2 separate enclosures.

4. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

Dan,

Carlon (www.carlon.com) has dividers for their boxes that will allow you to combine high/low voltage in the same box and still meet NEC codes.
    Here is an example: Low Voltage Divider Plate

As Gene stated above, your best bet is to use seperate boxes. (which is what I did) It also wouldn't hurt to run it by your local inspector as ultimately he/she is going to have the final say.

5. Dan_Morez

Dan_Morez Agent

Thanks for the response everyone, I'll definitely check with an inspector.

Chip, I looked at the Carlon site and they had exactly what I'm looking for, thanks alot. I also looked at your theater pic, and it looks like your coming along really good. Looks great! I see your using the lutron 3106....seemed kinda weird when I seen it cause I just ordered the exact same model 2 days ago, all black with the translucent top. I also ordered a Middle Atlantic stand alone rack to put in the wall for my equipment. What were you planing one using?

I'm not to good with the whole html language thing on here for posting pics, so I post some of my theater progress on yahoos picture site. I made that my homepage on here, so please feel free to take a look...please post any advice or opinion, all is welcome.
    I started with clean, unfinished basement...I dryloked the walls...3 coats with a brush, took for freakin ever! don't feel like painting ever again. Then I put down a subfloor using a product called Delta-FL....and then started framing walls, soffits, ect. I'm hoping to be done by mid-summer of next year...if the budget allows. Please take a look and let me know what you think, I don't have any descriptions for the pics yet, but will as soon as I figure out how...lol.

Thanks everyone,
    Dan M.

6. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

Dan,

Glad I could help on the Carlon boxes.

I have a Middle Atlantic Slim-5 (Model 5-37) sitting in my garage waiting to be installed at the rear of my theater. The back side of the rack will be open into the equipment room. As soon as I've installed the HVAC, insulated and sheetrocked the HT I'll actually be able to install it. I'll get some pics online when the time comes.

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer