What's new

Custom Dayton III MTM Baffles (1 Viewer)

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like some advice on the baffles I'm designing for my Dayton III's. I'm attempting to move the port to the front so they can be wall mountable, and I'm also trying to get some unique asthetic appeal. It also has to be symetric, so it will look good as a center. (Function over form, but hey, good looks help) As for the port, I calculated that the normal 3" port can be converted to two shorter 1.5" ports and at the same tuning freq will give the exact same port mach (.11). So I've done that, and here is what I've come up with:

Red - 6.5" Woofer
Blue - Silk Dome tweeter
Green - 1.5" Flared ports
Yellow - Grill
White - visible part of cabinet

The white section will stand off higher than the baffle by half an inch. This will then be flush with the grill. I'm curious as to if anyone here thinks this will affect my off-axis response since it is so close to the tweeter. The white sections on the top and bottom will also stand off, and will be routed at 45 degrees.

Thanks.

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
Why? Is there a sonic reason for this?

I talked with Wayne J through email, who was very helpful. He didn't beleive that the potrusions would affect anything audible in the speaker. He did however mention that I might be able to tell a slight difference due to the offset tweeter, but it's unlikely.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Yeap sure is a reason. It's not the height of the flares it's the air flow coming out of the port. It can disrupt the high frequencies coming from the tweeter. So if possible, move the ports to the ends of the box away from the tweeters

Jake K

Stunt Coordinator
What about moving the ports to the side of the box, is there any reason this can't be done if it fits?

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
The sides of the box might work, I'll probably run this all by the designer again to be sure though. The port mach for these speakers is pretty low, so there wouldn't be all that much turbulance, but it is a concern. Thanks for your input everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks