Custom Cover for Terminator 2

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ric Easton, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

I wanted to put both my Ultimate and Extreme editions in one case. I'm hanging onto them both because while the Extreme Edition has a better picture, the Ultimate version had a bunch of great special features.

Anyway, I needed art for a three disc case. (My version of The Ultimate Edition was the flipper)

I based this on the artwork that came with the Laserdisc Special Edition from quite a ways back...

[​IMG]
    Bigger version

I may make a four disc version if there is any interest.

Ric

2. Ric Easton

Hmmm, no thoughts?

Here's another version, without the metal box look, and with Arnie's big name instead of the tagline.
    [​IMG]
    Bigger Version

Ric

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Ric:

As usual they look great. I prefer the 1st one with the metal box look.

Parker

4. Christopher_J_F

Christopher_J_F Stunt Coordinator

NICE!

5. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

Looks great. Did you just put your disks in a 3 disk case or is there some special case that hold the Ultimate and Extreme Edition cases?

Downloading the metal one.

6. Ric Easton

This is the case...
    [​IMG]

I order them from InetDVD.com

Ric

7. DeanWG

DeanWG Stunt Coordinator

Ric,

Looks great. Let me second the first one as well, very sharp!

I would love the chance to get a 4-disc versions, I has have the DVD-9 Ultimate Edition and the Extreme Edition.

8. Parker Clack

Parker
  9. Ric Easton

Wow!

Their prices are a fraction of Inetdvd's. I guess I have a new supplier, Thanks Parker.

I'll work on some 4 disc versions soon. I've been tweaking the metal box version a bit. After printing it I saw a few problem areas. Nothing big... just adjusting the brightness, contrast and saturation a bit. I also changed the tagline font and other lettering slightly. I'm now very happy with the printed results.
    [​IMG]

For those interested, I would guess that all versions will be downloadable sometime this weekend.

Ric

10. DeanWG

DeanWG Stunt Coordinator

WOW!!! Thanks for the link, Parker. Was impressed enough with the price and selection that I just placed an order.

4 Quad
    1 Quint
    4 Sext
    4 Triple
    5 Doubles (Black and White Mix)
    5 Singles

The whole lot came to $28.79 delivered with ground shipping.

Just for kicks, went over to inetdvd and put the same lot together, came out to a shade under $70 delivered. What a difference!

Thanks again . . .

11. Parker Clack

Parker
    Dean:

Yeah, I ran into that site by mistake one day and when I noticed that they carried DVD cases I was blown away by their prices.

With the combination of Ric's cover art and a great place to buy new cases I will definitely be upgrading my DVDs cases soon.

Parker

12. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

great looks on both!

13. Ric Easton

Both covers are now available for download at my website. I cleaned them up a bit, (Credits and logos should be clearer on metallic version) and I changed the picture on the back of version 2. I also made 3 and 4 disc versions of both.

Ric

14. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Ric, once again, you have kicked ass! The metallic version kinda looks like a Superbit, but that's not a bad thing. Any stuff you're working on, or are you taking any requests?

15. Ric Easton

I didn't even think of Superbit! I was reminded more of the Star Trek Special Editions. Anyway, that's the one I am using. Although I think the dark spine looks better on the shelf.

I kinda do them as inspiration hits. Also, if I happen to have any materials, that sure helps. At first, for T2, I was just gonna take someone elses cover at DVDCoverArt and expand the spine, then I started getting into it, when I remembered I had that old pic from the LD.

For my LOTR covers, I had been re-reading the books by Alan Lee and thought those covers might look sharp.

And I'm a Star Trek NUT.

Everytime I've done one it was to fill a need. I either hated original packaging or wanted to combine discs in one case. I've had requests from time to time (Stargate: SG1, Xena, Hercules, Farscape) but haven't really gotten excited by any. The only show out of those I'm into is Farscape, and although their covers are different sizes, I love the artwork on them. Someday, I may get them down to two boxes per season, but I'll just be stealing and resizing their covers! Anyway, I'm always open to suggestions. I just may never act on them!

Nothing really in the works right now. I need to do DS9 season 4 soon, after that, I may design some LOTR covers that feature the Teaser posters. I also have about 18 volumes of The Twilight Zone that I have to convert to thinpak cases, but I don't think too many folks will be interested in that! I've had trouble enough working up the gumption to do it.

Ric

16. Jeff*S*C*

Jeff*S*C* Second Unit

Very nice covers. Just needs Van Ling's cool logo on the back.[​IMG]

17. Ric Easton

Not sure if that is a slam, Jeff. Did he create the artwork? I have mentioned it came from the laserdisc, both here, and on my site. I'm not against giving credit. If I could find the Cool Van Ling Logo, I would put it on.

Ric

18. DeanWG

DeanWG Stunt Coordinator

Ric,

Downloaded. Looks great, will print as soon as my new cases arrive from US Plastics. (They are already on their way.)

Just a side note . . . why no DTS logo? Just curious . . . god knows there are enough little logos to cram onto to the darn thing! [​IMG]

Also . . . for the pursists out there (which I'm not one of), perhaps it might be nice to have the Ultimate 2-disc version labelled out in a Disc 1 and Disc 2 like the Extreme Edition is? Just a a suggestion, by no means a knock on an amazing looking cover.

19. Ric Easton

Holy crap! Yer right, no DTS logo! At first I was thinking what's he talkin' about? It's there... Then I looked again... NADA!! I'm looking at the Extreme case right now, and I don't see it there either, even though DTS is in the audio specs. But guess what? I found that dang Van Ling logo! It's not on the regular case, but it's on the metal box!

I thought of splitting up the specs for the 4 disc version, then I got lazy... or maybe just forgot! I'll probably get to it eventually, and then I can also add the other two logos if there's room!

They just got approved by DVD Cover Art, so I think I'll wait a bit to see if there are any more changes I should make.

Ric

20. Sebastien S

Sebastien S Second Unit

This maybe a stupid question, but please keep in mind that I have never done this before...

I have downloaded both images, to get it to fit the case properly, at what exact size should I print it?

Also, to get the proper look... What kind of paper should I use? I have a very good photo printer.