Custom cover art instructions (for a newbie)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt C, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Matt C

Matt C Stunt Coordinator

Matthew
    Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on creating custom dvd case covers. I have some homemade VCDs that I would like to put in DVD cases, and I want to make some covers for them. I will be using Adobe Photoshop 6.0. Could anyone give some pointers to a newbie? I tried starting one (sortof) and it just seemed really overwhelming. Some of the things i need to know is what size (after printing) the cover needs to be for a single DVD case (sorry for such a stupid-sounding question, i'm at college, none of my cases are with me). Also, how do I know where to put the spine art within photoshop? Is there a way to show a ruler? (sorry, I'm just starting to learn to use photoshop, and I wanted to learn doing something fun).
    Anyways, some tips would be great!
    -Matt C
    -Edit: OK, so I just found the ruler function within photoshop, so that question is answered. :b So on to the tips! [​IMG]

2. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

3. Matt C

Matt C Stunt Coordinator

Matthew
    Great! Thanks a lot for the template! I managed to start the cover, and have set up the proper size in PS. Here's another stupid question, but how can I rotate text so that it is oriented properly on the spine? It's probably very easy, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Thanks again!

-Matt C

4. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

On the top menu:

Edit > Transform > Rotate

-EJ

5. Matt C

Matt C Stunt Coordinator

Matthew
    Oh man! I feel like a complete idiot! lol, as you can see, I have never worked with photoshop before! Thanks for tyhe heads up, though. Anyone else have any general suggestions on creating covers? In general, how do you blend multiple pictures into seamless collages? How do you create those cool-looking backgrounds like I saw on the Star Trek: TOS covers that were made? Thanks again!

-Matt C

6. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

Not sure if this site is still up, but www.dvdcoverart.com has selected movies already scanned and available for download. You can also add your scans to the list. I used it once before, its a great resource. May be others out there like it too?? anybody know of others?

7. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Juan,

DVDcoverart is temporarily down, but I hope to have it back up soon. There are a bunch of good links still there though - be sure to check out the thread from DVDtalk

-Matt

8. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

Thanks Matt. Hope you can get it back up. Great resource.

9. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

Matt - I have a tutorial at my site that might help with the blending. Check out the 'clean design' tutorial. http://www.jereme.com