What's new

Custom cable question for long runs (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I am looking at 35ft runs for component, composite, and s-video. How well does RG-6 cable with gold plated ends (as well as f-RCA adaptors) work for composite and component runs? Has anyone tried this or am I looking at expensive custom runs for these 2 cables?

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
Works great! I've done this many times and it's a piece of cake and does a great job. You can use the same thing for subwoofers, incidentally. You might have to special order an S-video cable that long, but coax works fine for component and composite... just make sure the cable is not crimped, stapled through, or sharply bent anywhere in the run and you should be just fine.

David Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
I just made 30ft component runs tonight! And they look great. I couldn't tell a difference between my home-made cables and the 12ft Monster Cables that they replaced.

Along the same lines, is there any way to make a do-it-yourself optical audio (Toslink) cable? I need a 30 ft run from my X-box to my receiver. Any ideas?!?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I just made 30ft component runs tonight! And they look great. I couldn't tell a difference between my home-made cables and the 12ft Monster Cables that they replaced.
Now that's the news I like to hear. I have to act on this fairly quickly. Unfortunately I am using 20ft component and s-video runs in my current setup so I have to get these new cables in place using a longer run. I will have to custom order a 35ft s-video cable but based on your advice, I will run my own component and composite cables.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I made up the component and composite cables using the RG-6, and the ends/sdaptors and tested the component set of cables. All I can say is I am very impressed with the performance they exhibited. All I need now is the 10m s-video cable them I am all set.

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks