What's new

Custom built Shuttle HTPC (1 Viewer)

JoshuaL

Grip
After ordering a new 30" Toshiba HDTV (30HT83), I decided that to fully benefit from the new purchase I should have a dedicated HTPC to possibly replace my existing (non-progressive) DVD player and to watch other video files. (Instead of my current setup which uses a PC in another room and about 40' of S-video and RCA audio cables to hook up to my current TV.)

So, here's what I ordered today:

Barebones Shuttle XPC SB51G ($199)
Intel Celeron CPU 2.4GHz ($68)
Crucial Memory: 512MB DDR PC2700 ($85.51)
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB DVI ($153)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card ($73.74)
120 GB 7200 RPM hard drive ($78.45)
DVI-D cable ($34.47)

So, for $692.17 I should be able to output a purely digital video signal from the Radeon DVI output to the DVI input of the Toshiba. I can use the digital out from the Santa Cruz sound card to go into my receivers digital coax input for DVD sound decoding. I can also replace the current cables running into the living room with one ethernet cable for transferring files (or go wireless, but that may or may not be quite fast enough to stream video from my desktop computer). Judging by the size of the Shuttle unit, it will actually fit on one of the shelves of my entertainment center which is pretty cool.

After spending over $2000 in the last 24 hours, I'm really looking forward to my tax refund in a couple months! :) (I still want to upgrade speakers and receiver, but that will have to wait until next year sometime.) Thanks to everyone in this forum for all the great HT information. Now I have to sit down and plan exactly how everything will be connected ...

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Ouch! Well, let's hope the Shuttle's loud fan doesn't bother you! ;) :D

(Some people dislike the noise that the Shuttle's fan makes, but I don't know if this applies to the latest models).

have fun!

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
If you're not afraid to do a bit of "modding", replacing the system fan with a quieter model is not difficult at all. Also, install the SpeedFan utility to control the speed and you can quiet the system down to a whisper while still maintain reasonable operating temperatures.

As for replacing the power supply fan, don't do it unless you know what you,re doing or you're in electrocutions. :)

JoshuaL

Grip
Regarding fan noise, since it will fit in my entertainment center inside a glass-door-enclosed compartment, I'm thinking it won't be noticeable. If it is, that's one noisy fan!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks