What's new

Pre-Order Custer of the West (1967) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
179342_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Too bad its 2.0 sound and not the roadshow version. I'll still buy it.

custer1.jpg

d447d53cf7840dc7e9cb368e24bd27efcd5c0958.jpg

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Anything else than a general release version with 2.0 sound would have been a surprise, the release itself is not something many of us have expected in the first place. I remain curious about the picture quality and hope for the best.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Anything else than a general release version with 2.0 sound would have been a surprise, the release itself is not something many of us have expected in the first place. I remain curious about the picture quality and hope for the best.
Same here. The import I watched recently seems to have been sourced from a projection print.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
In all likelihood, it will be a scan of a 35mm reduction element, as opposed to a scan of a 65mm IP or even the 35mm 8-perf Technirama OCN. Here's hoping it's at least a pre-print element (IP, IN).

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I've noticed you've said that in other threads as well. Where are you getting this information? Misterlime has only stated that it will not be the roadshow version. He has said nothing about the soundtrack format.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
In all likelihood, it will be a scan of a 35mm reduction element, as opposed to a scan of a 65mm IP or even the 35mm 8-perf Technirama OCN. Here's hoping it's at least a pre-print element (IP, IN).

I don't think that any intermediary 65mm elements even exist. So probably a 35mm reduction element which can look decent if not great and hopefully not some low-contrast print.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Has the 2.0 audio been confirmed as Stereo as I know Kino does not put Mono / Stereo on the information.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I've noticed you've said that in other threads as well. Where are you getting this information? Misterlime has only stated that it will not be the roadshow version. He has said nothing about the soundtrack format.

From another web site Misterlime said for the sound on Krakatoa East of Java:

No, the master is 2.0

I'm assuming the same for Custer of the West.

Has the 2.0 audio been confirmed as Stereo as I know Kino does not put Mono / Stereo on the information.

This was also asked on the other web site with no response from Misterlime.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
It's apparently not done on this site to ever warn that a film is a stinker and to be avoided but as I believe such things to be true I will express the view that CUSTER does indeed belong in that catergory. I saw it in ideal presentation when it was new and felt very let down.

Alternative views can prevail and within such an uncritical universe lurk other recently issued pictures that met with some approval here, such as BARABBAS and MAN OF LA MANCHA.

If you liked those you'll love this. Whether it's transferred from 8 perf, 65 mm or Super 8 rejected by the cat, with the sound divided into many, few or one track won't affect the script, performances or direction.

Might I suggest that the more demanding members of this forum instead heed the recommendations of our host.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
With taste in movies being highly subjective I do not think that it really is for anybody to say that a certain film is a stinker as if that was an absolute truth. Obviously you did not like it but there is someone like you for every movie - should we then have comments like yours posted for every movie? I do not think that this really helps in a technical forum, we are not film critics here.

Going back to the technical side of things Kino is releasing two rare large format releases and I wish them a lot of sales if the picture and sound quality of the releases does at least some justice to the Blu-ray format and the large format origins of these movies.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I understood Malcolm's point thoroughly. And Kino will find out the hard way just how many "fans" of Custer of the West there are. Just because something was shot large format or was a roadshow doesn't automatically make it desirable. And I believe it's the opposite - for whatever reasons, a few people latch onto films that are notoriously bad and become fans and cheerleaders for those films - I get it - there isn't a terrible movie on the imdb that doesn't have someone shouting "a lost gem" "brilliant" or whatever. While film is, like anything, of course subjective, I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that Custer of the West was a huge stinker that got bad reviews, did 0 business, and died a quick death. I love roadshows and large format as much as anyone - I also know a stinker when I see it. :) I even bought the overseas Blu-ray, which is horrid-looking, just because I kept reading here and elsewhere how it was criminal that this great movie was receiving just awful treatment. It's like Doctor Dolittle - other than some nice songs, I simply cannot comprehend how anyone can like anything about it, but it's roadshow and it's large format so I guess that makes it a masterpiece. Go know. :)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Going back to the technical side of things Kino is releasing two rare large format releases and I wish them a lot of sales if the picture and sound quality of the releases does at least some justice to the Blu-ray format and the large format origins of these movies.

Like Oliver I hope these two titles will at least look like they came from hi def sources.
Both are spectacles of a sort and to my mind really need the multi track sound to show them off to their best.
Kino's track(!) record on sound tracks is not that good so I'll wait for some reviews before paying up.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It's apparently not done on this site to ever warn that a film is a stinker and to be avoided ..
Jawdrop. Seriously? I find the level of thread-crapping here to be immeasurable! :)

I understood Malcolm's point thoroughly. And Kino will find out the hard way just how many "fans" of Custer of the West there are. Just because something was shot large format or was a roadshow doesn't automatically make it desirable. And I believe it's the opposite - for whatever reasons, a few people latch onto films that are notoriously bad and become fans and cheerleaders for those films - I get it - there isn't a terrible movie on the imdb that doesn't have someone shouting "a lost gem" "brilliant" or whatever. While film is, like anything, of course subjective, I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that Custer of the West was a huge stinker that got bad reviews, did 0 business, and died a quick death. I love roadshows and large format as much as anyone - I also know a stinker when I see it. :) I even bought the overseas Blu-ray, which is horrid-looking, just because I kept reading here and elsewhere how it was criminal that this great movie was receiving just awful treatment. It's like Doctor Dolittle - other than some nice songs, I simply cannot comprehend how anyone can like anything about it, but it's roadshow and it's large format so I guess that makes it a masterpiece. Go know. :)
Interesting. No one is claiming that this film is a masterpiece. But even though you agree the film is a stinker, you still bought a copy from oversees. So whatever point you are trying to make is completely lost on me.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Our local library buys a lot of new blu-rays for 7 day loans so I will check this and Krakatoa out for sure if they get them. Never seen both of them before but willing to check them out first as a rental.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Jawdrop. Seriously? I find the level of thread-crapping here to be immeasurable! :)

Interesting. No one is claiming that this film is a masterpiece. But even though you agree the film is a stinker, you still bought a copy from oversees. So whatever point you are trying to make is completely lost on me.

Oh, I don't think my point is lost on you at all. I bought it because of all these "fans" going on and on about it - so I could see it again after all these years, thinking maybe I was just wrong and there was something to rediscover. There wasn't. It was the same bad old film I remembered. So, what about that point is lost on you, Mark? Please enlighten me so that if there's still some confusion I can clear it up for you.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Oh, I don't think my point is lost on you at all. I bought it because of all these "fans" going on and on about it - so I could see it again after all these years, thinking maybe I was just wrong and there was something to rediscover. There wasn't. It was the same bad old film I remembered. So, what about that point is lost on you, Mark? Please enlighten me so that if there's still some confusion I can clear it up for you.
I just got the impression that you think that it is folly for Kino to release this since it's such a bad film, and yet you yourself had purchased it, so that would appear to contradict that there is no market for it. I've seen it (I own the DVD) and agree that it's not a very good movie but I still want to own it on Blu-ray and I think there are other Western buffs like me who will do likewise.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Yes, I think it's folly to release it, as it will not sell many copies - Kino doesn't seem to mind so it's all good. I actually said nothing about purchasing it nor not purchasing it - I said they'll learn the hard way just how many fans this movie has. Sorry, I've been fooled time and again by this in the CD business - whole thread like this saying how many people NEED such and such a soundtrack, it's their Holy Grail, it's a day one purchase. So, we go get the soundtrack and put it out and guess what happens? Every time. A handful of people buy it and we sit on it for three years and lose money. Every time. And the always amusing thing is when those pleading the loudest rarely buy it until it's just about to go out of print. Every time. THAT was the point, as well, but I seriously didn't think that point and other points was hidden.

And now back to everyone's favorite film, Custer of the West.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It's apparently not done on this site to ever warn that a film is a stinker and to be avoided but as I believe such things to be true I will express the view that CUSTER does indeed belong in that catergory. I saw it in ideal presentation when it was new and felt very let down.

Alternative views can prevail and within such an uncritical universe lurk other recently issued pictures that met with some approval here, such as BARABBAS and MAN OF LA MANCHA.

If you liked those you'll love this. Whether it's transferred from 8 perf, 65 mm or Super 8 rejected by the cat, with the sound divided into many, few or one track won't affect the script, performances or direction.

Might I suggest that the more demanding members of this forum instead heed the recommendations of our host.

While I don't hesitate to call a bad movie bad (even if it's a sacred cow like Mr. Smith Goes To Washington), it is MY opinion and I wouldn't dream of dissuading or warning anyone else not to purchase it. In fact, when friends ask what did I think of some new movie I just saw, if I didn't like it I say so but it irritates me when they say, "Thanks, I'll skip it then and save myself some money", I always respond with, "Nonsense! Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean you won't. If you're interested go see it and judge for yourself."

To call fans of Barabbas or Man Of La Mancha part of an "uncritical universe" is rather pompous. They're just as critical as you, their viewpoint is just different. But perhaps you can share your critical insight with us and give us a list of films which are permissible to like and which films we shouldn't.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mat1
Recent bookmarks