Curved Soundstage

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by PhilBoy, Nov 14, 2003.

1. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

I would like to curve the wall which will become the soundstage at the front of my HT.

My thought was to incorporate 2 infinite baffle subs (1 right, 1 left) into the wall with a 4 foot air space behind the curved wall to the foundation wall.

In fact I was planning on mounting the subs slighty forward of the curved surface maintaining the infinite baffle design and setting the two mains on the top of the sub extentions to ensure voicecoil alignment.

I am estimating the curve of the wall to focus at the sweet spot 12 feet away. The main purpose is to make fronts and centre equidistant from the listening spot and provide a focused sound.

Any thoughts ?

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

No problem as long as the space behind the wall is large enough.

Not sure about IB boxes as speaker stands thing. Time-alignment benefit of subs is a bit of a nonissue if any EQ is used. Also given that we're talking a distance of 8"-12" or so, you run the risk of messing up the baffle-step compensation in the mains with placement so close to the wall. And I'm pretty sure a IB box that provides a stand 4' out from the wall (proper placement for most mains) isn't a good idea either.

I just put the subs together on one side of the wall to get max coupling. This will also decrease potential room nulls.

3. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

ThomasW,

Ya I guess the IB stand idea is overkill... EQ will work.

It'll save a ton of work too.[​IMG]