Curved lines on new 27" Panasonic tv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by peter_anderson, Dec 6, 2001.

1. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

I took a Toshiba 27" tv back because it had a darker top left corner, and got a Panasonic CT-27D11 instead. No dark corners, but any vertical line near the edge of the screen bows in (or the top and bottom bow out). Is this normal behavior for new TVs? I have seen it years ago on an RCA...

The Toshiba had some bowing of vertical lines, but it was VERY minimal. All picture settings are "normalized", i.e. set in the middle.

2. Eliab

Eliab Agent

Peter,
    To a certain degree, geometric distortions on a display device are actually quite common. Fortunately, there are controls within the sub-menu specifically designed to correct this. The only problem is that since these adjustments can’t be made within the user menu, it makes it more difficult for the end users to correct the geometry themselves.
    BTW, did the Panasonic display model have similar geometry problems? If not, you may want to exchange it for another CT-27D11. Keep in mind, however, that the new TV will probably have some type (although perhaps less) geometry issues as well. Good luck!
    Eliab [​IMG]

3. peter_anderson

yes, the display model has some of the same problems, but they were only noticeable via the vertical lines displayed by the on-screen menu since i could not change the channel on the display model.

i fear that this is as good as it gets with "affordable" 27" TVs.

thanks!

4. Dave_N

Dave_N Extra

Peter.

I do not know if you have the same setup menu as my ct-32hx41, but try this:

1. Press the round blue button on the remote to get into the user settings menu.

2. Scoll to "SET UP" and press that button again to select

3. Scroll down to "OTHER ADJ"

4. Select "GEOMAGNETIC CORR"

5. Play with the +/- settings here to see if it helps.

Dave

5. sean_dietz

sean_dietz Agent

Peter,

While I dont have the same model, I experienced the

same thing with my Panasonic 27"SX11 set.

I am on my second set, and it still has some of the

bowed and wavy lines. The store I bought it from was willing

to keep trying until I found one with out this problem.

I got into the service menu mode, and using some of the test patterns

from Video Essentials dvd, was able to get rid of most of the wavieness(sp?),

by adjusting some of the setting. Its not perfect now, but much much better.

And hardly noticable after awhile.

Sean

6. peter_anderson

Thanks, all for the info!

I found the service menu codes, but after looking at DVD playback with shielded component cables, I decided to return the Panasonic and wait until I could afford a better TV.

Component DVD playback was a little too fuzzy and the convergence was off a bit. Also, the service mode apparently lacks any pincushion adjustments!!!