Curved double flexy pics

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ashley Carr, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Ashley Carr

Ashley Carr Auditioning

First of all, Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all!!
    This project was about 6 months in the making from start to finish, but I'm very impressed with the final results. Unfortunately the pictures here don't do it justice.
    Thanks to everyone who has posted on this forum regarding flexys, all the posts were a great help in giving me inspiration.
    Progress photo where I put everything together to make sure it fitted:
    [​IMG]
    Front on, with equipment in place:
    [​IMG]
    Side on (kind of hard to see the curves):
    [​IMG]
    Front on with DVDs and CDs in place:
    [​IMG]
    Close up of equipment:
    [​IMG]
    Stuff used:
    18mm MDF (all shelves except middle shelf where CDs are)
    12mm MDF (CD shelf)
    16mm Stainless steel threaded rod, washers and nuts.
    Flat black acrylic paint
    Satin finish floor grade polyurethane (top coat)

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Nice work Ashley. I like the added curves, gives it a more original look to the plain square shelves most poeple build. BTW, what kind of speakers are you using, they look like they have a marble paint?

3. Ashley Carr

Ashley Carr Auditioning

Thanks Cam.
    The speakers are actually made by me, and it's a decorative adhesive covering that's used for the marble look. Pretty much a heavy duty version of contact for covering books. Looks quite nice from a distance, but it's not quite so good up close as it's hard to get the corners perfect. It's not all that durable either, but the simplicity of putting it on more than makes up for it. [​IMG]
    If you look closely at the side on picture, you'll notice I haven't entirely covered the centre speaker.... I used that speaker for testing the contact, and haven't got around to doing it properly.... [​IMG]

4. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

wow, I get the first "nice rack" comment. [​IMG]
    Seriously though, those look great. Very nicely done. The curve gives a really pro look to them, and the roundover finishes them off nicely. Good job!

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Nice job on the flexy. I'll agree, the curved front really gave the cabinet a custom look.

I did a "double-take" when I saw your champaign-colored Denon receiver. Then, I looked at your profile: Australia. Those of us here in the U.S. are stuck with basic black for our Denon gear.

6. TimGregis

TimGregis Extra

That Looks great! Very nice work!

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Really nice... you've inspired me to rethink a flexy system as an option to house my stuff.

How did you stencil out those large radii for the curves?

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Oh jeeze.. double post. :b

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

truly a good job, you should feel very proud of what you made there!

10. Ashley Carr

Ashley Carr Auditioning

Thanks everyone, I'm not used to this many compliments...:b
    Wayne, that's a bit of a rip off about only getting black, do you have any idea why that is?
    Dave,, the curves were a bit hard to do; I clamped the wood to a long table, then used a ruler to measure out the right distances, then used a long piece of pine with a nail through one end and a pencil on the other to mark out the curve like a giant drawing compass. I think for the larger curves the pine was around 2m long.
    All the curves were cut freehand using a jigsaw.

11. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

12. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

niiiiiiiiice!

13. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

Looks very nice! I have one that's vaguely similar, but the construction isn't as beefy and I didn't bother with trying to make curves or fancy stuff. Was it hard to level? I'd think having so many supporting rods would make it a somewhat involved process.

I'd keep a close watch on the receiver for a while, and make sure that it doesn't get hot with another shelf right above it. I found that my Denon receiver really does prefer at least 4" of space above.

14. Chris Drenner

ashley,
    thanks for posting the pics of your rack!!!
    it looks fantastic, i love the curved shelves!
    what is the width and depth of the shelves?
    thank you for some major insperation!!![​IMG]
    i love this forum it has helped me move forward in my quest towards in home audio bliss...

15. ChadF

ChadF Extra

Cudos to Ashley!! [​IMG]
    Excellent job, very professional. I'm a big fan of DIY, not only does it allow you to appreciate what you have even more but it gives you a total custom and unique look that is definitely a conversation piece.
    Ashley I think you need to quit your day job and build shelves for all of us here on the forum!! [​IMG]

16. Ashley Carr

Ashley Carr Auditioning

Thanks again guys...[​IMG]
    MarcVH, the levelling of the shelves actually didn't take very long at all. I just put all the shelves on till they looked straight, then started from the bottom up using a spirit level to fix it all. I had my dad helping me with that bit and that made things much easier.
    Also thanks for the tip about space above the reciever; I actually moved the shelf above it up a bit straight after I took the photo, as it was getting slightly too warm.
    Chris, the smaller shelves are 600x400mm at their deepest, and the larger shelves are 1200x600mm. The CD shelf is 1200x300mm.
    ChadF, being a Uni student, I don't actually have a day job, so the idea may not be as far fetched as you think....[​IMG] Just as long as I don't have to paint them, that was very tedious and time consuming...[​IMG]