What's new

Curve in 2.35:1 DVDs... Sony XBR800 at Fault (1 Viewer)

SeanA

Second Unit
The bottom of the image, when playing 2.35:1 DVDs on my Sony 34" XBR800, is higher at the center than at the edges by a good 4-5 mm (I measured it)... essentially forming an upside down smiley face :frowning:. The upper right corner of the image also curves downward by about 3 mm. I posted on this problem earlier and was initially blaming my new Denon DVD 1600 player, but recently confirmed the DVD player was not at default by duplicating the same problem with a Toshiba DVD player.

I guess I am just curious if any other Sony owners (particularly the 34" widescreen sets) have experienced the same problem ??? And have you been able to correct the problem ??? I am now considering a professional calibration, but I am not sure this would fix the problem either. And if a calibration did fix the problem with 2.35:1 DVDs, would it end up causing a smiley face curve or different distortion on other formats (1.85:1, 4:3) ? I am not too crazy about spending the extra money for a professional calibration, particularly since I am otherwise happy with my own basic calibration using the AVIA disc.

John_Pang

Grip
This is geometry error in the TV. All consumer TVs have this to some degree. It can be fixed by accessing the service menu of the TV. If you are not familiar enough with the TV to go into the service menu I would first call your Sony repair facility and let them know that you think the error is excessive, if they do nothing for you you can research how to access the service menu and attempt to fix it yourself (with the help of a test signal DVD like AVIA) or pay an ISF tech a coupe hundred bucks to fully calibrate the TV.

I was able to remove nearly all trace of geometry error from my 34XBR with the service menu options.

RANT: I actually wrote you a much longer more detailed response with links but the forum would not allow the post with links :frowning:

SeanA

Second Unit
John,

Thanks for the help !!! I am actually just getting ready to check the Sony website to see if I have any recourse to repair this geometry error. My TV is only 6 months old, so hopefully a correction can be made under warranty. I may call the dealer as well. They are very good (not a Best Buy or Circuit City) and they service everything they sell.

Not sure that I would want to try to enter the service menu on my own, but I appreciate that you tried to post some links. [rant]I concur with your rant and I don't understand why the forum would not allow the links !!![/rant] It would have been nice to at least check out what needs to be done to work in the service menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks