What's new

Curtain/Decorating Question (1 Viewer)

John Williams

Auditioning
Hello everyone!
This is a purely non-technical, fashion/decorating question that I thought belonged in here.
The room where I have my home theater set up has a set of windows on the end opposite the RPTV. There are three windows in the set, with a half-circle window over the middle one. The whole arrangement is probably close to 6 feet wide.
Right now, we have 2” plantation shutters covering the lower (square) windows, but nothing over the upper half-circle one. This looks nice, but doesn’t do a whole lot in the way of light control for the room.
So my question is: What can I do in terms of curtains, shades, etc. that will help control the light in the room a whole lot better than now? Whatever I come up with has to pass the SAT (Spouse Acceptance Test), and look nice.
I was thinking about a large curtain rod above the whole window set (including the half-circle window), with some kind of heavy curtain material….but I’m concerned that it would look a little weird (it is a very tall set of windows.) The final solution has to look nice open as well as closed, after all.
And on a related question…does anyone know of a source for light-blocking material that can be incorporated into curtains? Whatever we end up with in terms of a design, I think I have a line on someone locally to make it, so I’d like to be able to refer them to a particular material that works well.
Thanks in advance!
-John Williams

John, I had a similar situation as far as lighting in a room, but the windows were behind the screen position. The wife and I decided on blackout drapes, that extended symmetrically behind the entire front stage.
I think that the end result was rather pleasing. Check out my web site to see how ours turned out.
http://homepage.mac.com/jrg6771/Personal.html
James
------------------
"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum!"
Little Bijou

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
John:
I think if you just specify black out lining, any fabricator will come up with what you want. There is not a specific brand or product that I know of that is better than another. This is not an uncommon request. People often use them for bedrooms.
Deane

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks