Curse of Seinfeld Continues!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kline, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

* "Watching Ellie " ratings continue to plummet. Hasn't anybody in Hollywoodland figured it out yet? Seinfeld was successful because of the sum of its parts along with mostly great writing. The 3 actors who tried to go out on their own are not "leading" ones. They're basically character actors. And in Seinfeld they played... well, jerks (loveable or not)! And that's how people still see them rightly or wrongly. They are just not appealing on their own. Typecasting for sure. My opinon. Discuss.

*Julia Louis-Dreyfus

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

"The Michael Richards Show" was not good, but "Watching Ellie" is really good (I haven't seen the latest episode yet though). "Bob Patterson" was good too, with a little reworking (ditching the son, first of all) it could have been great.

"Watching Ellie" is at least a departure from the standard sitcom formula, I hope it's given a few more chances.

/Mike

3. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

I laughed a good deal at the last episode of 'Ellie.' Steve Correll cracks me up [adult themed cowboy pajamas LOL].

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    "The Michael Richards Show" was M.C. playing "Kramer" but without the necessary supporting cast and with really bad writing. It was a foregone conclusion it would fail.

"Bob Patterson" I only saw a few bits of; the writing seemed decent, if not inspired, and Jason Alexander wasn't playing "George." So I thought it had a chance.

I'm not "Watching Ellie"; the previews weren't engaging and I don't have room for another show to watch. But by many accounts it has solid writing, and Julia Louis Dreyfus is not playing "Elaine", but a new character. Again, it has a chance.

Has this been done before? Have actors successfully transitioned from a very successful, long-running ensemble-case show to a new sitcom, as the star, within a few years?

5. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I consider HBO's "Curb Your Enthusiasm" as a semi-spinoff of Seinfeld. Larry David is hilarious and he has had Dreyfus and Alexander on the show a couple of times and they were pretty funny. Maybe they just need that 'Larry David' type humor to work with?

6. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I too really enjoy 'Watching Ellie'. The first ep took some getting used to, but i'm starting to grow into the show. I really hope that the network gives this show a chance to grow, and doesn't prematurly pull the plug. Seriously, some networks have very itchy trigger fingers! Look at FOX, they pulled the plug on 'Family Guy'! Are they fricken nuts!? That show was hilarious!
    As far as Julia goes, I love her, i've always loved her, even on 'Sienfeld' when she played what I call a "nice bitch"[​IMG]. 'Ellie' is different, she's a lot nicer to people than 'Elain' was, 'Elain' had her nice moments, but she was a bitch most of the time. Don't get me wrong, I loved 'Elain', but she WAS a bitch. [​IMG]

7. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

The thing is, I seem to remember "Watching Ellie" being in trouble even before it hit the air. I seem to remember NBC being a little uncomfortable with the nepotism, expense, and schedule (JLD apparently only wanted to do something like 18 episodes/season), and there are apparently some weird syndication/repurposing clauses in the contract.

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

10. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    The Jeffersons was a ratings success, too. Although I could never see why.

11. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

I'm not watching Ellie. It has yet to make me laugh. It's really poorly filmed and written in my opinion. I might be losing touch with pop culture, but there are VERY few shows I find watchable:

Law and order

Ed

Scrubs

Friends

Gilmore Girls

Otherwise it's all fodder, and MOST of it isn't watchable in my opinion. Watching Ellie is SUCH a sham, it turns my stomach because it's the stereotype of easy Americans, you put it on TV and they will watch it. Hopefully that isn't the case, as it looks appeared headed for cancellationville. It makes me miss the heyday of TV:

Night Court, Cheers, Seinfeld.

Three GREAT shows.

12. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

For what it's worth, I think "Ellie" is a terrific show.

13. Berk

Berk Stunt Coordinator

Remember, this is just my opinion. If you like "Ellie" that's great.

I can't say that I'm a big fan of "Ellie." To me it's just another show that got made because no one wanted to admit to the bosses that it was a bad idea.

How does this work? We all have jobs here so I'm sure you can relate:

1. The boss (probably Julia or an exec who has a good relationship with Julia would be my guess) comes up with an idea and presents it.

2. Some recognize that the idea for the project is bad and will result in a flop.

3. Nobody wants to go against the boss so they all praise "Great idea!"

4. The show gets made and flops.

I'd say the new Rollerball has to be a very good example of this.

Again, just my opinion.

Berk

14. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann

15. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Newman's done pretty well in most of his supporting acting roles (3rd Rock From The Sun).

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I never got the gay vibe from Frasier, all I ever got the was snooty/snobby vibe from him and Niles.

18. MickeS

MickeS Producer

About the gay vibe from Frasier... the writers are obviously aware of it, since there have been a few episodes about just that.

There was also an episode that dealt with how he's changed since his time hanging out at "Cheers", when Woody came to visit.

/Mike

19. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    DavidF

20. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Frasier's as an entire character has not changed any more than a normal person would. Everyone goes through changes in live and what the writers did with Frasier was told the story of his character after his divorce, as he begins a new life in Seattle. It’s been a while since I have seen the early Frasiers or the late Cheers but I imagine the timetables of the events in Frasier’s live match up between the two shows. Frasier is the same basic character we are just seeing him begin a new segment of his life. So the character is familiar but there is still allot of room for the character to grow. Frasier also has excellent writing and supporting cast. "Elle" and "Patterson" is lacking both of those had real corny plots IMHO.