Currently have SPL1200 - which SVS is comparable?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Bryan Acevedo, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

All,

It's been a while since I have posted, but I am moving into a new house and am selling off all of my speakers and replacing them with new stuff.

What I had was all Klipsch Reference series (RB5, RC3) up front and Synergy Surrounds (SB1). For my sub I had a Velodyne SPL1200 that I got a great deal on.

I am selling the main speakers because in the new place, there isn't anywhere to put the bookshelves due to a built in niche and fireplace, so I am going with all in-ceiling speakers (actually the new Klipsch R-5800W in-walls that I will put in the celing) for my 5 main channels.

My brother-in-law bought all of the Klipsch speakers, and now is interested in the sub. Before I tell him yes or no, I want to know which SVS sub would meet (or better yet, beat) the performance of my beloved SPL1200. Let me just tell you, I really liked that sub, but the thought of finally joining the SVS bandwagon has me excited. This would need to be one of their box designs (not the cylinder - my wife is great, but she doesn't want that in our new home, and to be honest, neither do I).

I am selling the sub for $400 (a bargain I know - I bought refurbished for $750 a few years ago and I thought that was a bargain! I sold all the other speakers for $600 total - he is getting a killer system at my expense!). So I can't go up to those $1000 subs - I need to stay in the $600 range (give or take a few $$) to keep my wife happy.

Thanks for any info!

Bryan

2. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hi Bryan,

Any chance of sharing a little about your new room to be and what % music/movies. General listening level? Placement options?

>>>"As far as I am concerned, the only level is reference level."

3. Bryan Acevedo

I realized after I posted people would probably want to know more about my room.

I guess I want two responses. If I kept my SPL1200, if the room was too big, well, I would still be stuck with it. So I am wondering regardless of room size, what is comparable to the SPL1200. I don't want to sell it for $400, and then have to turn around and spend $1100 for a new SVS (I can get a new SPL for that).

Now, I would also want to know what I would need for my room.

The room is a great room/family room that is open to the kitchen. It has 10 foot ceilings and the dimensions of the ENTIRE area are about 20' X 30'. The family room itself is 19.5' X 16', but there is no wall between the family room and kitchen/nook area which is 22' X 13.5'.

As for listening levels - we never listen at reference level when watching a movie. I may crank it to reference level when demoing to people when they come over, but I couldn't handle an entire movie that loud in my home.

I will crank it for some music when we really like a song.

I prefer deep, tight, accurate and musical bass. Not boomy bass. I am a little hesitant because the SVS subs are ported, but I can't imagine SVS would make a boomy and loose sub.

I play the drums, and what I like is when the bass drum hits you in the chest, but is deep, tight, and has quick decay (not a long boom after).

I hope this may help.

And as for my wife's quote - yes, that was a joke. She was making fun of me when we were talking about getting some gear or something, and I said, well, if we don't watch at reference level..., and she replied with her infinite wisdom.

Bryan

4. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I need to stay in the $600 range (give or take a few $$) to keep my wife happy. 20 X 30
    __________________________________________________ _____

Well thats a good size room and a tall order in the $600+ price range. My first thought would be the PB12-ISD/2 though. Music would be no threat on those rare reference level occasions. Placed and set-up properly, I would be very surprised if it didn't impress you. Still over budget though.

You haven't mentioned size, so I deem thats a non issue? SVS will have their new line coming out in the new year which will be much smaller as I'm sure you know. Price range is still a issue and I can surly understand that. There will be a new more affordable PB12-Plus coming out also. You could keep what you have and pick up another if you found SVS not to your liking.

>>>I play the drums, and what I like is when the bass drum hits you in the chest, but is deep, tight, and has quick decay (not a long boom after).>So I am wondering regardless of room size, what is comparable to the SPL1200.

5. Bryan Acevedo

I wouldn't say $600 is a hard limit. I can go higher if I need to. I just couldn't justify selling my sub for $400, if it is going to take me $1400 to get the same quality. For that, I can just by another SPL1200.

$899 is not that much more for the PB12-ISD/2.

I just know that I like the sound of the SPL1200. I like the depth and punch of it. I don't want to give any of that up, and end up paying more money in the end.

Bryan

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

>>>I like the depth and punch of it.

7. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Bryan,

I have a PB12-Ultra/2 and a PB10-ISD. I live in Chandler also, so PM me with contact information if you'd like to demo them. I think you'll be surprised what the PB10-ISD can do.

-Robb

8. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Way to go Robb[​IMG]

9. Bryan Acevedo

Thanks for the offer Robb, I may take you up on that after the holidays have passed.

My new home won't be done until the end of January, so I don't need to order the new sub right now.

I just needed to know that if I sold my sub now, then I could get as good if not better performance for not much more cash in a few months.

Robb - where at in Chandler are you located? PM me if you don't want to post it publicly.

Bryan