What's new

Currently have SPL1200 - which SVS is comparable? (1 Viewer)

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
All,

It's been a while since I have posted, but I am moving into a new house and am selling off all of my speakers and replacing them with new stuff.

What I had was all Klipsch Reference series (RB5, RC3) up front and Synergy Surrounds (SB1). For my sub I had a Velodyne SPL1200 that I got a great deal on.

I am selling the main speakers because in the new place, there isn't anywhere to put the bookshelves due to a built in niche and fireplace, so I am going with all in-ceiling speakers (actually the new Klipsch R-5800W in-walls that I will put in the celing) for my 5 main channels.

My brother-in-law bought all of the Klipsch speakers, and now is interested in the sub. Before I tell him yes or no, I want to know which SVS sub would meet (or better yet, beat) the performance of my beloved SPL1200. Let me just tell you, I really liked that sub, but the thought of finally joining the SVS bandwagon has me excited. This would need to be one of their box designs (not the cylinder - my wife is great, but she doesn't want that in our new home, and to be honest, neither do I).

I am selling the sub for $400 (a bargain I know - I bought refurbished for $750 a few years ago and I thought that was a bargain! I sold all the other speakers for $600 total - he is getting a killer system at my expense!). So I can't go up to those $1000 subs - I need to stay in the $600 range (give or take a few $$) to keep my wife happy.

Thanks for any info!

Bryan

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hi Bryan,

Any chance of sharing a little about your new room to be and what % music/movies. General listening level? Placement options?

>>>"As far as I am concerned, the only level is reference level."

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
I realized after I posted people would probably want to know more about my room.

I guess I want two responses. If I kept my SPL1200, if the room was too big, well, I would still be stuck with it. So I am wondering regardless of room size, what is comparable to the SPL1200. I don't want to sell it for $400, and then have to turn around and spend $1100 for a new SVS (I can get a new SPL for that).

Now, I would also want to know what I would need for my room.

The room is a great room/family room that is open to the kitchen. It has 10 foot ceilings and the dimensions of the ENTIRE area are about 20' X 30'. The family room itself is 19.5' X 16', but there is no wall between the family room and kitchen/nook area which is 22' X 13.5'.

As for listening levels - we never listen at reference level when watching a movie. I may crank it to reference level when demoing to people when they come over, but I couldn't handle an entire movie that loud in my home.

I will crank it for some music when we really like a song.

I prefer deep, tight, accurate and musical bass. Not boomy bass. I am a little hesitant because the SVS subs are ported, but I can't imagine SVS would make a boomy and loose sub.

I play the drums, and what I like is when the bass drum hits you in the chest, but is deep, tight, and has quick decay (not a long boom after).

I hope this may help.

And as for my wife's quote - yes, that was a joke. She was making fun of me when we were talking about getting some gear or something, and I said, well, if we don't watch at reference level..., and she replied with her infinite wisdom.

Bryan

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I need to stay in the $600 range (give or take a few $$) to keep my wife happy. 20 X 30
__________________________________________________ _____

Well thats a good size room and a tall order in the $600+ price range. My first thought would be the PB12-ISD/2 though. Music would be no threat on those rare reference level occasions. Placed and set-up properly, I would be very surprised if it didn't impress you. Still over budget though.

You haven't mentioned size, so I deem thats a non issue? SVS will have their new line coming out in the new year which will be much smaller as I'm sure you know. Price range is still a issue and I can surly understand that. There will be a new more affordable PB12-Plus coming out also. You could keep what you have and pick up another if you found SVS not to your liking.

>>>I play the drums, and what I like is when the bass drum hits you in the chest, but is deep, tight, and has quick decay (not a long boom after).>So I am wondering regardless of room size, what is comparable to the SPL1200.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
I wouldn't say $600 is a hard limit. I can go higher if I need to. I just couldn't justify selling my sub for $400, if it is going to take me $1400 to get the same quality. For that, I can just by another SPL1200.

$899 is not that much more for the PB12-ISD/2.

I just know that I like the sound of the SPL1200. I like the depth and punch of it. I don't want to give any of that up, and end up paying more money in the end.

Bryan

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Bryan,

I have a PB12-Ultra/2 and a PB10-ISD. I live in Chandler also, so PM me with contact information if you'd like to demo them. I think you'll be surprised what the PB10-ISD can do.

-Robb

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Thanks for the offer Robb, I may take you up on that after the holidays have passed.

My new home won't be done until the end of January, so I don't need to order the new sub right now.

I just needed to know that if I sold my sub now, then I could get as good if not better performance for not much more cash in a few months.

Robb - where at in Chandler are you located? PM me if you don't want to post it publicly.

Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks