What's new

Currently have a JBL N series setup ... considering HTD level 2 setup ... (1 Viewer)

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
I have the n center, N38's and N24's as surrounds. I am seriously considering selling this setup to my father-in-law and getting 5 of the new level 2 speakers from hometheaterdirect.com. That way I have 5 of the same speakers all the way around. Any opinions on this idea? I think I can come out about even on it. thanks

Jason

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Jason:

What is it you don't like about your setup? I don't see the obvious advantage to having 5 of the same speakers in a setup if your happy with the N-Series setup.

--AM

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Jason;

I don't see why you would want to buy those speakers. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that they aren't any good. I have yet to hear the Level IIs. I'm just saying that it would not necessarily be better than what you already have. The JBL N series is quite good and would most likely better compete with the HTD Level IIIs. Don't get hung up on having the same speakers all around. As long as your system is timbre matched, you should be fine.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
It's not that I'm unhappy with the N series, just that I want a change. A lateral move would be fine with me. I would kinda like to get something different but something that still sounds good. I'm almost 95% HT and want something smaller. Like small bookshelfs. No Towers. Plus, my father-in-law I think will really like this setup and I'm going to sell it to him for like $375. So I kinda want to find something around that price to try. Maybe a bit more (couple hundred more). Any suggestions?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I hope your father in law knows that $375 for that setup isn't a great price. It's a very good price, but about the same as he could expect to pay for the same components new purchased seperatly online. After doing a little searching, i was able to find the following.
JBL N38 - $97 each (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/letsgodigital/n38.html)
JBL N24 - $84 pair (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/gigabuyz/n24.html)
JBL N Center - $87 (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/salestor...ncen2wayd.html)
Total - $365
I know that doesn't include shipping, but they're also brand new.
I'm not saying don't sell them to him by any means. If he's willing to give you $375, by all means take it. You wouldn't be ripping him off at all, and neither of you should feel that way, but the same stuff can be had around the same price new.
Just for info's sake.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
It's not that I'm unhappy with the N series, just that I want a change. A lateral move would be fine with me.
That's an interesting way of going about things. I'm sort of the opposite. I refuse to replace something in my home theater unless I'm convinced that the replacement will significantly improve my system's performance. I will not buy something simply for the sake of buying something.
Why not just save up your money and get something that will sound better than what you already have? If you're going to spend the money anyway, you might as well make the most of it and get something better. Or if you don't want that, just keep what you have. You said that you're satisfied with the JBLs. Why replace them?
That's just a suggestion.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I agree w/Mr. Forner. Maybe money might be better spent upgrading a receiver, adding a seperate amp, or a subwoofer. Just making the recommendation because once I "upgraded" just for the sake of upgrading and in the end I wish I hadn't(Yamaha receiver). Just a thought.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
yea .. I'm not sure what to do. I was considering the Ascends, but am not really sure. I have a Pioneer vsx-d709s and was thinking about the HK avr225. Don't know if that will be an imrovement or not. Stephen, he knows that I only have about $400 wrapped up in the speakers, and that they are all purchased from an authorized dealer. I guess having me to help set everything up and taking off my hands some speakers that are less than 5 months old and not used a lot isn't much of a concern for him. I sure like that small n24's for the rears. Maybe I'll keep the N series setup. I'm not disatisfied, just not super happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks