current videogame sales= Capitalism at its best, random thoughts

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Larry Fletcher, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Larry Fletcher

Larry Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

Is it me or is it a great time to be into videogames. I mean
    with 3 systems and numerous games being released every week there are always going to be good games that don't sell that well. We are seeing it more every week now with some good games dropping in price. Example Mark of Kri $9.99 at EB 2 weeks ago. This competition among all 3 platforms is really benefitng us. Just check out the coupons and deals section. Look at the numerous games on sale every week.
    Capitalism at its best.

P.S. It is Friday. I am bored stiff at work. Don't feel like working so I decided to write this for no particular reason other than to kill time. [​IMG]

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

3. Larry Fletcher

Larry Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

Excellent point! I never really thought of it from a developers standpoint. I guess this is also the reason we are seeing so many mergers among game companies.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It's a tricky one... We are in a boom period according to the financial stats, but at the same time, tons of developers have gone bust in the past year because they simply can't get projects signed in time or paid regularly.

5. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Brian,

Again, that is the nature of Capitalism though. Another reason there are so many developers going under is simply because there are so many darn developers to begin with. There are so many maore design houses than any other time. Why? Because the pie has gotten much bigger and everyone want a little slice.

Half of the games I buy now I don't even recognize the design company. Besides the biggies like Sega, Blizzard, Rockstar, etc. who even knows what these comapnies are and where they come from?

One last point: software developers move around, a lot! When one company goes under, 2 more pop up to fill the void. These people do not sit at home and collect unemployment for long, their skills are snatched up by other or new companies pretty quick. Think back to 10 years ago, it was incredibly hard to break into the game industry, the jobs were pretty coveted. Today, almost anyone could make the transition with a little schooling and some legwork.

Developers going under doesn't reflect on the health of the industry much at all IMHO...

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Someone has to go, with 3 platforms the market is too fragmented.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

8. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

9. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

10. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

I read in a recent CNET News article where Steve Balmer of Microsoft mentioned that they're in the long haul for the XBox. He mentioned that it took 10 years for Windows to gain momentum, and implied that he's willing to invest the time.

http://news.com.com/2008-1082-998297...g=fd_lede1_hed

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

2 consoles only is best for the market IMO,

However homogenization of developers is a bad thing: I give you EA, nuff said

13. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Morgan, I find it thoroughly amusing that your example of a unique game (Ka) from a major company was developed by a small independent (Zoom).

14. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

First of all, my statements were overly ambiguous on purpose. I was half kidding.

But I still think there are too many small companies. I have nothing wrong with a bunch of guys getting together to make games, but if it leads to flooding the market with sub-par games (and this is a problem from big developers, too), then I think it should be stopped. The only real way to stop crap games from getting made is to not buy them, but the average consumer doesn't care enough to make that happen.

I think the market can handle 3 consoles, so long as the benefits of each one is equal to the benefits of the others and the market is healthy. Right now, the economy is down, so 3 won't stand together. Looks like MS is going to be the closest to getting pushed aside.

16. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

17. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

18. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

The ratio of great/good/ok/suck games seems to have always been the same in my experience, regardless of big/little companies out there. I'm sure we all remember the Atari 2600 with fondness, but what we forget was that for every Raider of the Lost Ark there were 3-4 ETs that came out for that system. The only change I see these days is that with multiple systems and a horde of games, in abosolute terms there are more great games. In other words, there used to be 2-3 must have games for each system through it's lifespan, now there are 2-3 must have games for each system EVERY year. Sure, there are also many times more suck games too, but that's why you have to read reviews and shop around. I haven't bought a bad game in 6 months, there are just too many known great titles to play first. So I buy Vice City and just skip all the EA titles for 2 months, it's a win-win situation for the descretionary consumer [​IMG]

Rob:

19. BrianB

BrianB Producer

20. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor