What's new

Current Trainspotting DVD: How does it fair? (1 Viewer)

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Upon hearing that Criterion has no plans for a DVD release of this excellent film, I am considering picking up the current disc that's out there. I know that there are no extras, but I'm more interested in the A/V quality. Also, from what I remember, it's a relatively expensive disc. Does anyone know how much this disc is currently going for in the B&M stores? Any info is much appreciated. Thanks.
------------------
-Dwayne
"And vidi films I would."

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Trainspotting is available in two DVD flavors in North America. I own both.
The Buena Vista DVD distributed in the US is the best, most complete presentation of the film. It is a solid but not spectacular non-anamorphic widescreen transfer with a similarly decent 5.1 audio mix. It's main advantage is that it contains the complete unrated original cut of the film even though the packaging states that it is R-rated. Supplements are nil, not even language options.
The Alliance version distributed in Canada has a filmmaker interview that is interspersed with many of the deleted scenes from the Criterion laserdisc. I believe it has a French language option as well. The A/V quality is on par with the Buena Vista Release. The kicker is that it contains at least one of the alterations done to the film to obtain an R-rating in US theaters. During the "First Shag in Ages" sequence, a brief shot of Kelly MacDonald reaching between her legs is replaced with a pan across a footbal crowd. It is a frame for frame replacement with no change in the audio track or running time. Some web sites (such as DVD File in their "cut list") have been reporting that the Alliance version is the uncut version, but they are in error.
IMHO, the Alliance version is still superior because of the extras and the, IMHO, minor impact of the censored scene, but if you are hardcore about these sort of censorship issues and the slippery slope they entail, the Buena Vista US release is the one to buy. At $30 MSRP, it is a bit pricey for a bare bones disc, but if you are a fan of the film, you don't have many other options.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Ken. I sounds like I'll probably get the BV disc. Strange that a BV disc would have the theatrical cut, but I am thankful none the less.
------------------
-Dwayne

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Thanks, Ken. I sounds like I'll probably get the BV disc. Strange that a BV disc would have the theatrical cut, but I am thankful none the less.
Yeah, we really have Criterion to be thankful for in this case, since BV used Criterion's uncut transfer for the DVD.
Jeff
[Edited last by Jeff Adkins on September 07, 2001 at 05:06 PM]

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Yeah, we really have Criterion to be thankful for in this case, since BV used Criterion's uncut transfer for the DVD.
Interesting. Thank you Criterion. :)
Went to a Best Buy today hoping that they would have a copy in stock. No such luck. I did, however, manage to pick up the DTS Predator (guilty pleasure) for 14.99. I'll probably try a couple other stores this weekend.
------------------
-Dwayne

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Well, I found a copy at Suncoast (I try to avoid them like the plague) for 30.00 + tax. It may be a barebones disc, but you know what, I'm happy to have it because when all is said and done, it's really all about the movie. Unfortunately, I have to wait until tomorrow to watch it since my girlfriend at work and she wants me to wait for her. Ahhhh the torture!!!!
Glad to hear that this is the original uncut version. Does this mean that this will be different than what I originally saw theatrically here in the states?

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Is there any news on a Criterion version? I'm not sure if I should hold off on purchasing the Buena Vista version or just buy it and enjoy it!

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Tom,

I emailed Criterion about a DVD release and they had no plans at the time to release it. I haven't heard anything since then. I would buy the disc again if they decided to do so.

Recently, I emailed Criterion about releasing Fincher's The Game. Again, they had no plans at this time, yet I keep hearing the opposite. Who knows? Maybe they're not allowed to discuss such things 'till they're official.

Wish I had something better to say.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Dwayne,

Thanks for the information! I might as well purchase the Buena Vista release since it is the unedited theatrical version.

I hope that Criterion releases Trainspotting (and The Game) in the near future. I too would repurchase it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks