Current recipes for box office success

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Arjan S, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Arjan S

Arjan S Agent

Aug 25, 2004
    Here's what I noticed to create a big blockbuster:

1) 3-D animation for kids. Has any of these ever lost money. I know final fantasy did but it was aimed at adults.
    Throw in celebrity voices for ensured success.

2)Mythology set in an England type of environment. Star Wars had an English feel to it with many actors being English plus it had knights, lords, princesses and etc. Same with LOTR and Harry Potter, both are very English.
    Also throw in an all consuming evil that will triumph if the hero fails.

I was there for the Episode One, Fellowship of the Ring and I saw The first Harry potter on Dvd, but now I am entirely sick of this trend. I was hoping the new Harry Potter would only make 70 Million this weekend, to show signs of weakening but it made 100 mil. I expect the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe to do well.

3)Comic book superhero movie with male leads. This includes Superman, Spider-man, X-men, Daredevil, Hulk, Batman and Fantastic Four. I know punisher did not do well but he had no superpowers and Hulk and Daredevil were considered disappointments but still made over 100 mill.

4)Get Spielberg, Shyamalan, James Cameron or Peter Jackson to direct it. They may have had the occasional failures but mostly make money.

5)Get Tom Hanks, Will Smith, Tom Cruise or Julia Roberts.
    Same as above directors.

I know i'm a minority but I 'm entirely sick of trends 1 to 3. I view them as essentially children's films. Some skinny orphan with superpowers saves the day with help of father figure against some universal evil. This includes the matrix.

I remember in the eighties and nineties critics were complainning films were made for teenagers. Now I think they are made for pre-teens.

Your thoughts.
  2. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer

Oct 5, 2005

Not a sure fire thing either, and I think Cruise' stature continues to drop after his weird-outs. They've all had bombs and underperformers.. even recently.
  3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Feb 8, 2002

"King Arthur" was a huge bomb.